I need a reason for a new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Probably. I had done around 15,000 miles on it, had enjoyed every one of them, and decided it was time to move on. I wasn't the original owner, which would have made warranty complicated, and have absolutely no regrets I got out when I did.
Ah yes, you probably couldn't have claimed in that case

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Buy a green bike, because its green.
Thats a reasonable justification.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Had a look at two new bikes yesterday, a Trek and Boardman and talked myself out of it each time because I know the engine wouldn't do them justice. Sad really but reality prevails.

Rubbish. New bike is the answer.

There were 5 of us out on a social ride today (was going to be 6 but one lad's brakes had locked on some how). ne lad was on an old cheapish Raleigh MTB. He was asking lots of stuff as he was thinking of getting fit again (social ride today) and we advised him of a few things.

We did say, fix the old bike and get a new one, then when he said something the 'new bike' saying came out. Mucky grips 'new bike', flat tyre 'new bike'.

The fella was glad he came with us as he learnt a lot, and then relaised how expensive stuff can be - non of us were on exotic bikes, just good level stuff costing north of a grand or two. He was a photographer, so I said, you'll know what decent kit costs, it's just the same with bikes.

NEW BIKE !

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Last winter I fitted some fat Gravel tyres to my old Dawes Super Galaxy and opened up a whole new world of cycling. I've had a great time linking kilometres of forest trails with sections of road riding and discovery loads of new places I'd never see otherwise. I've also fitted soft bags to the bike and bike-packed up the Brocken.

Two big things have emerged from this, the first being that I absolutely love this style of riding and I have some big bike-packing plans next year, as well as lots of local rides planned. The second thing I've realised is that the old Dawes was really not the best bike for this. As much fun as I was having, the 37mm tyres were just to big for the frame and rubbing slightly on the inside of the chain stay and the 20 year old cantilevers were always a little bit exciting in the stopping department. So today I took the plunge and splashed out on a second hand Kona Sutra LTD, the small ride I managed before it got dark confirmed I'd made the right choice in going for a much newer bike. With a SRAM 1x11 drivetrain, SRAM Rival hydraulic disks and room for 50mm tyres, this thing is a beast and will open up a whole new world of rides that the old Dawes was struggling to do.

Sometimes only a new bike will do, just go for it!

You're doing something you enjoy - it might be a tad more enjoyable on a newer bike ....

I share a car - so that s half the justification for me " ah but we only have 1 car "...
Nearly always wins the debate at home. :notworthy:
It loses it's potency at 3+ bikes though, I find.

Your definition of "old" is a bit different to mine then, because my newest one is 18 years older than your "old" Triban. :laugh: My favourite "go to" machine was made in 1995, and since it fits me, and is comfortable, sturdy and reliable I see no reason to replace it.
Yes, I find my old builds get smoother and smoother after the first assembly as I do a bit of fettling or swap the odd bit - and why wouldn't they. As long as the frame holds up no reason at all why they shouldn't go on for ever.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Coming up for 4yrs since I bought my last bike :blush:. Mind you I’ve spent a fair bit of late on that bike . However I do have a hankering for nice carbon framed gravel/adventure bike . Will need to wait though as need to spend a fair chunk of cash on this house we bought .

Top Bottom