I need a screw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppylud

Über Member
Morning all.

Was cleaning my bike over the weekend and it looks like the screw that keeps my Shimano 105 shifter nameplate has fallen out on the grass to be lost for ever.

The nameplate is still there but its rattling like a goodun.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement screw? The t'internet says I can buy a replacement nameplate and screw for £9.99. Which to be honest, is extremely OTT. Anyone know where I can get the screw from or what the size of the screw is so I can just go and get one that fits?

Any help much appreciated.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Have you got a powerful magnet? That might find it.

You haven't seen my front garden, would need to be a blooming powerful magnet.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Morning all.

Was cleaning my bike over the weekend and it looks like the screw that keeps my Shimano 105 shifter nameplate has fallen out on the grass to be lost for ever.

The nameplate is still there but its rattling like a goodun.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement screw? The t'internet says I can buy a replacement nameplate and screw for £9.99. Which to be honest, is extremely OTT. Anyone know where I can get the screw from or what the size of the screw is so I can just go and get one that fits?

Any help much appreciated.
If it's a tiny screw, look for an old pair of sunglasses, their hinges use tiny screws

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
FC43F82D-6CB7-4915-93ED-C08B16CE1251-2671-000001F82394FCF5.jpeg
Is this the fella?

If so it looks like a grub screw. Look at the hinges of your kitchen cupboard doors see if one of them fits

Take the other side off and measure it.

Once you have the length, diameter, and pitch you should find an alternative at many hardware stores.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Children have been dispatched to the garden to look for it, will keep them quiet for a couple of hours during half term.....

U

User6179

Does the 105 shifter have a plastic plate on the side you can remove like Ultegra , if it does I would think it might use the same screw as the name plate, lost the screws out of these before with no issue as they clip in place and the hoods hold them in place.

The screw here bottom left
maxresdefault.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The screw I showed in #11 is this....

90 degree countersunk head, 5mm outside diameter
Overall screw length 6.3mm
Max diameter of threaded section 2.7 mm

It's close to a No4 type AB but my Vernier says it a tad smaller on thread diameter.

Top Bottom