I need advice about organising rides on a web site.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I maybe need some advice... I have just begun to organise short rides, about 30k, with people I have never met, with road, easy off-road and towpath and riverside routes and I have no idea about my liability if a rider or a third party is injured or suffers loss, and no experience coping with accidents. I have insurance for my own bike, that's all.

Can anyone offer some advice and is there a source of advice on this?
The answers are in your post. You are the organiser, this makes you responsible for the safe running of the ride and would be liable if an incident occurred. You don't know those involved so can't know how they will react in the event of a serious incident.

I'm a club sec and familiar with what BC requires of clubs and organised rides. There is a lot to take on board. I've recently helped my wife with setting up group rides within an organization she's involved with. A lot of effort had to go in to helping the guy who just wanted to lead a ride understand is responsibilities.

I would stay away from BC Ride Leader courses for two reasons. Once "qualified" you will be expected to implement what you have been taught. Secondly if you failed to do so it could increase your exposure to liability. I'm not 100% on this but think BC would expect some basic first aid training and kit to be carried.

I'd suggest the trick is for a bunch of friends to get together at an agreed time and place. Have a brief chat about where to go and set off.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just one other thought for you. I organise gravel rides which include towpaths, riverside and general off-roading. I always recce the route at least once before taking others away from tarmac.

I've always loved map-reading and journey planning.
For several years I led casual training rides for long-distance horse riding. It was just my friends, and we all started to do better in competitive rides too.
Word started to get out, and suddenly friends of friends, and people we met on 'official' competition rides would ask if they could come along too. After a couple of experiences of people who'd only ever ridden around Southport suddenly finding themselves in the Peak District, or horses who'd only ever worked on Midlands turf having to negotiate limestone tracks, and a few people who really couldn't (or wouldn't?) manage their horses out in a group with others, I was thoroughly ticked off and called a halt to it as I could see something very nasty was waiting to happen. And anyway it was getting to be too many people; when it was just three or four people I knew it was very very different indeed.
Something would go wrong sooner or later - and I'd be the one left carrying the can, as I'd been the one to say 7.30am at XYZ car park off the B999; 25 miles in the Dark Peak, heavy going, be prepared for rotten weather.

So be careful, be very careful, and only do it under the aegis of a larger organisation which can advise on the correct procedures to follow and provide you with comprehensive insurance cover.

I did re-start route planning, but my friends (who I used to ride with) and I set up a branch of a national organisation and organised several rides a year under their umbrella. It all worked out very well. We still went out together on 'our' rides, using them as route-finding for the organised ones, and the organised rides helped to fund our branch, its activities and the national organisation.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would stay away from BC Ride Leader courses for two reasons. Once "qualified" you will be expected to implement what you have been taught. Secondly if you failed to do so it could increase your exposure to liability. I'm not 100% on this but think BC would expect some basic first aid training and kit to be carried.
I disagree with that. Once you know ride leader training exists, I don't believe you can claim to be reasonably prudent leading rides if you pretend ride leader training doesn't exist.

And really, someone should carry a toolkit and someone should carry a first aid kit among any group of size.

I'd suggest the trick is for a bunch of friends to get together at an agreed time and place. Have a brief chat about where to go and set off.
I don't think taking part in cooperative rides is a trick, really. If you are all obeying the traffic laws and just agreed on a route before setting off, that's not a led ride. It does of course mean one rider shouldn't sit on the front and play Billy Big Britches, directing a peloton.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@mjr I understood Ride Leader training was specifically aimed at those leading BC rides, for example Breeze rides?

As regards tool kits I guess it depends on what you mean. Everyone I ride with carries what they need to "get home." I feel that qualifies as a tool kit? If I was the OP I'd have a rule that all participants are expected/required to carry all they need to get home.

I only used "trick" as part of a phrase "the trick is" which I feel suggests the solution is to do exactly as you and I'll both described - meet up, decide where to go and ride.

biking_fox

Guru
It's an issue with all outdoor pursuits, and one of the reasons official clubs exist. From the club you get a national body, and from there you get liability insurance because it's a big enough organisation to make it worthwhile.

The worst case scenario is that someone falls and hits their head and is brain damaged requiring lifelong care - £million bill.

It is of course somewhat nebulous and there's no clear principle to divide the border between:
A) A group of friends of equal abilities meet up and do something potentially dangerous (everybody is liable for their own actions)
B) An experienced person takes people they don't know to do something potentially dangerous (even if not formally recognised they are the leader and will be found responsible)

No matter what verbal agreements were in place (I'd never sue my mate), the injured's family will need to claim whatever they can from whoever is responsible. In A there is no-one clearly responsible. In B the leader is liable. If the leader has insurance the insurers will pay, but the insurers will need to know: that they've been trained, followed 'good practise', have assessed equipment etc etc. Being in a recognised club for £x/year following their rules, takes away the very slight risk of you being sued for what could be a very very large sum, and the slighter higher risk of some chancer suing you for a frivolous reason that will still cost a lot of time and effort to fight on your own.

I am not a lawyer! But I've been doing group outdoor pursuits for a while now - with friends and clubs.

If the OP asked a bunch of his or her friends ie people they know well, if they wanted to go with him on a bike ride on Sunday morning - We can meet at the car park in Big Village by the canal at 11 oclock; after we go past the locks we'll ride along the towpath to the Bull's Head, have a pie and pint there, then get on the old mineral railway track to Little Village where we take the road that's signposted to Big Village - I can't see an issue with liability there.

But the OP is offering to guide a bunch of total strangers on the highways and byways of this fair land and has no idea if any of them are homicidal maniacs who might ram an innocent fisherman or dog-walker straight into the canal lock which the OP has told them about. Well, that's a silly, extreme example but you get my drift.

Any one of a bunch of strangers might have no road sense whatsoever, or be riding a totally unroadworthy bike, and the OP will be nominally 'in charge' of all of them, by implication if not by intention. And by association, any bad behaviour/stupidity/whatever by any of those s/he is leading will reflect on him/her. At the very least, the OP needs to protect themselves from blame.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's not only the risk that participants may themselves be injured or suffer loss. There's also the risk that participants may do this to a third party (or to each other). Which is why you may need to ensure that everyone has third party insurance.

(I am not a lawyer either. In fact, I am an idiot).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr I understood Ride Leader training was specifically aimed at those leading BC rides, for example Breeze rides?

BC say it is for "confident cyclists who are enthusiastic about taking groups out on the road, whether you are a recreational leader, club cyclists, school or leading businesses alike". It seems not specifically for BC rides and I know people who did it to lead other rides. Of course, it does train you to lead in a BC style, for better or worse. (There's a separate course for Breeze ride leaders which I have not looked at because I think they're irrelevant.)

As regards tool kits I guess it depends on what you mean. Everyone I ride with carries what they need to "get home." I feel that qualifies as a tool kit? If I was the OP I'd have a rule that all participants are expected/required to carry all they need to get home.
It's reasonably probable that someone will forget something despite such a rule, or someone will fib about compliance with the rule. It's what people do. Ensuring at least one decent toolkit is in the group seems easier than checking everyone's tools at the ride start — such an idea reminds me of the totally impractical County Council Cycle Rides policy which starting demanding that leaders checked new participants' bikes and skills at the ride start despite them not necessarily being qualified mechanics or trainers.

This might be of interest. I'm not endorsing it, I've not read it or used it. Just saying that it exists.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/Support for cycling groups and clubs/ride-leaders-toolkit
Good link. It's worth a read if you're considering joining CUK for the ride organiser insurance, as I am fairly sure you are expected to follow the leader handbook as a condition of insurance (see "You are covered provided the ride/event is run in accordance with any guidance issued by Cycling UK" in the Ride Organiser documents in https://www.cyclinguk.org/insurance-document-hub ) but I know others disagree about that.

It is of course somewhat nebulous and there's no clear principle to divide the border between:
A) A group of friends of equal abilities meet up and do something potentially dangerous (everybody is liable for their own actions)
B) An experienced person takes people they don't know to do something potentially dangerous (even if not formally recognised they are the leader and will be found responsible)
This is the key point, I feel, but I don't think "equal abilities" is relevant. Even if you're equal abilities, if the "leader" is directing people, they take on some liability for what they did.

And cycling isn't necessarily that dangerous.

Being in a recognised club for £x/year following their rules, takes away the very slight risk of you being sued for what could be a very very large sum, and the slighter higher risk of some chancer suing you for a frivolous reason that will still cost a lot of time and effort to fight on your own.
You don't necessarily need club insurance to protect against third party liability claims. Some people may find their workplace or household insurance offers a suitable option, which they might already have bought: check the paperwork and if you're insured, see what it requires. And you can never take away all risk of some chancer suing you, but insurance gives you a company, possibly a big one with clever lawyers, to fight alongside you under certain conditions.

But the OP is offering to guide a bunch of total strangers on the highways and byways of this fair land and has no idea if any of them are homicidal maniacs who might ram an innocent fisherman or dog-walker straight into the canal lock which the OP has told them about. Well, that's a silly, extreme example but you get my drift.
I agree with most of the post that the above is cut from, but I don't believe there's a court in the land that would hold the OP liable for the actions of homicidal maniacs on the ride, unless the OP knowingly invited maniacs or instructed them to knock people into the canal.

There are many valid reasons to do ride leader courses and/or get insurance but I don't think that silly example is one.

There's not only the risk that participants may themselves be injured or suffer loss. There's also the risk that participants may do this to a third party (or to each other). Which is why you may need to ensure that everyone has third party insurance.
We don't have an equivalent of business or motoring insurance certificates that you can check to make sure people have third party insurance, so it's pretty much impossible to ensure that they have it and much less that they actually comply with any conditions of insurance.

Even if you require everyone to join the same club or small group of clubs, which would reduce the number of potential riders to a tiny percentage of people, some will try to fake memberships, or they stop paying their subs early but keep hold of the card, or whatever. And, philsophically, do you want to ride, or be a recruiting sergeant for some national organisation?

And, pragmatically, I'm pretty sure even a ride leader ain't liable for what participants do to a third party unless they caused it to happen in some way, and hopefully the insurance covers that sort of claim. It's really up to the participants whether they prefer to get insurance or risk going bankrupt in the case of a successful claim against them personally, whether it's on the ride, before or after.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
liability waiver
1626107901550.png

liability waiver
Every event and organized ride I've been on I've had to sign a waiver which generally waives the liability of the event organizer from everything except gross negligence and criminal activity.

Most of the waivers I've signed seem to say the same thing that I accept the risk of cycling on the road/trail, I have all the right equipment and skills, and that I understand the rules of the road/trail.

Top Bottom