I need advice for riding on road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My helmet does make some noise though, when I am riding, with air passing through. is that normal?
Not normal but not rare. The resulting hearing loss has been suggested as one reason why helmets don't improve cyclist survival as much as the impact protection should. There are products such as "Helmet Angels" and "Cat Ears" that attach to the straps to reduce the noise but, as a non-helmet-user, I have no experience of them. I don't even know if they're still on sale, or on sale where you are.

More generally, I second the above advice to make contact with other cyclists near you, especially any that can teach the local road rules and any tips/tricks for riders there.

Debade

Über Member
Sorry OP if I’m wrong but this post reads to me as a person who wants to share his feelings about cyclists. The OP is not looking for advice. Consequently, I will not respond to your questions.

Thanks for your response to me. I do not think you are trolling. Here is a link that might be helpful https://europebybicycle.com/Cycling-in-Georgia.php. Here is another site that might be more helpful https://www.komoot.com/guide/71918/cycling-in-georgia. Perhaps through these sites, you could find a local tour guide who is a local cyclist and may be able to give your more guidance. In the States, a person might look for a bike club or a bike store. It would not surprise me if there is one there.

Not normal but not rare. The resulting hearing loss has been suggested as one reason why helmets don't improve cyclist survival as much as the impact protection should. There are products such as "Helmet Angels" and "Cat Ears" that attach to the straps to reduce the noise but, as a non-helmet-user, I have no experience of them. I don't even know if they're still on sale, or on sale where you are.

More generally, I second the above advice to make contact with other cyclists near you, especially any that can teach the local road rules and any tips/tricks for riders there.

I have not tried those, but having been aware at times of wind noise when cycling I have experimented holding just one finger on the side of the face in front of the ear, a la cat ears, and it did make a great improvement so I can imagine they would work.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have not tried those, but having been aware at times of wind noise when cycling I have experimented holding just one finger on the side of the face in front of the ear, a la cat ears, and it did make a great improvement so I can imagine they would work.

I've not heard of those products, but I used to be able to get my cat to ride in the basket on my bike when I was a youngster, although I don't think it really enjoyed it, it just tolerated it. Helmets were unheard of then.

@Mk-Verstappen
You should reread this.
Look for quieter alternatives.
Experienced riders will normally seek alternative routes using quieter back roads, and while this can sometimes involve more distance or climbing the experience is much more relaxing and enjoyable without the ever present fear of getting squished by an inattentive driver travelling at high speed.

Get the map out and see what you can find, you often make great discoveries once you leave the main roads behind and see things usually missed in the direct A-B car journey world.

It's not quite what you're thinking of, but CrazyGuyOnABike has bike travelling journals from all over the world. They can be useful for etting an idea of what cycling is like in different places - even our own places!
Here's the page for Georgia

Just on a matter of style...
When you provide this level of information....
I plan to ride my bike from one city to the other
I'm not inclined to respond when my answer will be far longer than your question, and may be completely irrelevant depending on your mysterious location.
Help us to help you and please provide some useful info in your questions.

Travelling by bike is great, and a wonderful way to 'feel' the differences from place to place. I'd encourage you not to give up on your idea, but at the same time to give yourself the best chance of a safe & successful journey by preparing well and properly.

Good luck!

I've been to Georgia quite a few times and driven in the capital city Tbilisi, on main roads and rural roads.
From a foreign driver point of view the standard of driving is very poor, fast, high risk and drunk driving not uncommon. The reformed police crack down but the average driver is not so careful. In addition the road surfaces can be bad with big pot holes.
There are very few cyclists in Georgia. I saw one Japanese cycle tourist on a quiet rural lane. In the city, I have seen a couple but it is not a big activity. You see more in small towns.
I would be very wary of trusting Georgian drivers to know how to behave around cyclists
Which road did you plan on using?

OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
Experienced riders will normally seek alternative routes using quieter back roads, and while this can sometimes involve more distance or climbing the experience is much more relaxing and enjoyable without the ever present fear of getting squished by an inattentive driver travelling at high speed.

If you want to post some Google markers for where you are travelling from/to (obviously don't give EXACT location) perhaps some of the forum users will look at the maps and make some routing suggestions you might not have considered?
Yes I checked that and there are alternate routes.
route 1
route 2
It's ok to go through a town right? town roads are not motorways.

Is there anyone local to you offering cycling tuition?
I don't have enough knowledge about cycling outside of the UK to competently guide someone else, sorry.

Thanks. I don't know local riders but some people here posted some guides.
@Mk-Verstappen
Just on a matter of style...
When you provide this level of information....

I'm not inclined to respond when my answer will be far longer than your question, and may be completely irrelevant depending on your mysterious location.
Help us to help you and please provide some useful info in your questions.

Travelling by bike is great, and a wonderful way to 'feel' the differences from place to place. I'd encourage you not to give up on your idea, but at the same time to give yourself the best chance of a safe & successful journey by preparing well and properly.

Good luck!
I'm not giving up. I found some safer routes and I will probably do the ride.
this is my route
what other useful info should I provide?

Also, my front lights are not good. maybe I need brighter ones.
I don't have bike rear rack. or anything to mount anything on. so maybe I need that and a bag.
bike pump? some quick repair kit or a spare tube? i don't know.
maximum I have ridden is ~20 km, is 80km a big jump?
Which road did you plan on using?
this is my route

The E117 Military Road north is the main truck route to Russia. I have driven it and would not recommend cycling. Trucks run the mountain section by the border in large groups, one way . You dont want to meet them in either direction.
There are small side roads before the resevoir, they may add up and down but will be quieter.
I havent been on the Tbilisi National Park road as an alternative.

Last edited:
I'm not giving up. I found some safer routes and I will probably do the ride.
this is my route
what other useful info should I provide?

Also, my front lights are not good. maybe I need brighter ones.
I don't have bike rear rack. or anything to mount anything on. so maybe I need that and a bag.
bike pump? some quick repair kit or a spare tube? i don't know.
maximum I have ridden is ~20 km, is 80km a big jump?

Google Maps is not a reliable route planner for a bike, although I note that bike routing is disabled in your part of the world.
I note that you haven't changed the settings in any way. You're not avoiding highways nor toll roads. I'd suggest selecting a pedestrian option and adding wheelchair accessible. That might be more bike friendly. Then investigate further using Streetview.

Osmand is a multi-use map and route planner. It may help you choose better options for a bike.

The best thing is to use the internet to try to find the routes that others have used and to investigate them as much as possible.

There is no point in me commenting on your route. We are all different, have different experience, skills, fitness, styles and tolerances.

As a basic I would expect to carry a pump, puncture repair tools (and be able to use them), functional lighting and enough food and water for the ride. A rack is not needed for what is a day ride. And a bike that is working well.

80km is a big jump from 20km but not impossible. If you are used to riding 20km 5 days a week then a one day 80km ride should be manageable for most - unless there is a lot of climbing or wind. However, your 80km is a 'straight line' route. I'd imagine your best route will be longer than 80km.

You don't say why you want to do this route. My respectful suggestion would be to look for quiet roads to interesting places around where you live and develop your riding skills and fitness. Gradually build up your exposure on busier roads, bit by bit.

froze

Über Member
If you have to ask this question, then you should not be riding on that road!

Find an alternative route that doesn't have big truck traffic, or drive yourself in.

Even if you decide to say screw whatever I've said, there is only so much I can say because it sounds like you don't have the experience to be riding in those conditions on that road.

A $10 helmet told me a lot about you, you don't ride much, maybe around the block a bunch of times, or you're telling me that you don't think your brains are worth more than $10, since I don't know you, I can't tell you what the value of your brain is. Study this site: https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html There is a score number on the bottom left under each helmet, the lower the number the safer the helmet, find one that fits your budget that gets the lowest score, then try to buy it somewhere, a lot of them will only be sold online.

Next, buy a construction safety vest with wide reflective bands in some neon color that doesn't match the background you'll be riding in, for example, don't buy a neon green, or neon yellow vest if there are a lot of trees around, get a neon orange one instead, buy a cheap $15 or so vest from any home improvement place. If it's hot where you live, they make a mesh style so air can blow through, if it's not hot then they make a solid fabric one.

Next, buy a very bright rear flasher, NiteRider has a very good one called the Omega 330, it puts out 330 lumens to the rear, and it has various flash patterns, find the one flash pattern that will stand out the best for day time riding, you can test this by mounting the light to the bike, turn it on to the first flash mode, step back about 250 feet and see how it looks to you, then try the next setting and step back 250 feet, keep doing this till you find the one that stands out the best from the others.

Then you will need a front flasher for daytime riding, if you know at some point you could be riding in the dark home you will need a very bright light, those usually come with flash/strobe patterns as well. NiteRider Lumina 1800 or 1500, or the 1200, but nothing less than 1200, those are very good lights, the light is also very ruggedly made, and unlike most lights when the rechargeable battery goes bad you can send it back to NiteRider and they will for about $30 replace the battery, go through the entire light, reseal it, and send it back to you. If you have time to wait for the front light you need to go to the NiteRider site every day and check to see what refurbished lights are available, and keep checking to till you find one you like and buy it fast because they go quick, but you'll save a lot of money on their refurbished lights, I got my 1200 refurbished and it looked brand new when I got it. They do not sell refurbished taillights.

If you won't be riding at night then all you need is some sort of flasher, then the NiteRider Swift 500 is a great deal.

These lights are all about trying to grab the attention of someone yabbying away on the cell phone, and hopefully, they'll look up and be hit with something flashing and will wake up enough to pass you safely. The vest will be another visual cue something is on the road, be careful.

Here is a website I want to read it really well:
https://bicyclesafe.com/

Here is another tragic website with a video you need to watch, this is what happened to someone who was too inexperienced to be riding a bike in the city. This video is brought on by bicycle activists, they don't have it correct, they put the blame on the truck driver, but he was only a little bit at fault, she was the primary at fault person, let me explain what you will see. The big truck is a flatbed they have the worst turning ability of any type of truck on the road, BUT, never EVER get alongside a big truck, bus, motorhome, or even a car, stay behind them. The first image of her riding, she is in a designated bike lane. But if you watch a 1:00 in the video you will see that the bike lane changed, it is now in the second lane from the curb, clearly marked by a bike symbol and directional arrow, and a bit earlier there was another cyclist in that lane doing what he was supposed to be doing. But Anita stayed in the far-right lane next to the curb, that lane was for buses only, and buses go into that lane to let passengers off and on, Anita was not paying attention to any of that. At 1:03 you can clearly see that the truck's turn signal is on, remember, he has to swing wide to make that turn, so he's taking 2 1/2 lanes to prepare the wide swing, he needed all those lanes to make that turn. You can also see the rider at that same time frame, she is moving faster than the truck and is about to come alongside the truck, remember, do not come alongside any truck, car, or whatever, and you are about to find out why! Because his truck is angled to make the wide swing, he can't see her in his mirror, you can see his angle at 1:07. The law that is quoted at 1:13 is not correct for this particular situation, because that lane she was in was a bus lane, not a traffic lane, had it been a traffic lane then the law would have been correct, but it was clearly marked with signage and special dashing on the pavement that it was a bus lane making that law they quoted invalid. The truck hits and kills Anita, but he never knew it because of his wide turn his rear tandems probably hit the curb and any type of jolt would have been what he thought was the curb.

Here's the video: https://www.massbike.org/anitakurmannvideo

What did the driver do wrong? He should have realized he passed a cyclist and should have waited to make his turn and stopped, and watched both mirrors till he saw her again which he failed to do. Hit and run is highly questionable since I doubt he knew he hit her, with all the witnesses around and cameras it would have been very stupid to hit and run knowing all of that, so I have my doubts that he knew. Anita also did something else wrong, she stopped her bike to wait, when she should have turned toward the curb and jumped it to safety, but she had no idea how wide of a swing a truck makes.

Here are two videos, and at the bottom of the page an interactive thing you can play with, all designed to show you what a truck can and cannot see, and where you should be: https://cyclingsavvy.org/what-cyclists-need-to-know-about-trucks/

The one thing not addressed by the two videos above is how far you need to stay behind a truck, the rider in the first video is doing it correctly, he is about 1/2 to 3/4ths a car length behind the truck, this is in case the truck is on an incline that when they start to go they could roll back a good 3 feet, hitting anything that decides to be near their bumper.

Brandane

Legendary Member
A $10 helmet told me a lot about you, you don't ride much, maybe around the block a bunch of times, or you're telling me that you don't think your brains are worth more than $10,
Cycle helmets have severe limitations on their protective abilities, no matter how much you pay for one.

Next, buy a construction safety vest with wide reflective bands in some neon color
Hi-viz then... Hmmmmm......

if you know at some point you could be riding in the dark home you will need a very bright light, those usually come with flash/strobe patterns as well. NiteRider Lumina 1800 or 1500, or the 1200, but nothing less than 1200,
1200 or more lumen? Enough to temporarily blind oncoming drivers. Not a great idea.

The big truck is a flatbed they have the worst turning ability of any type of truck on the road,
Extremely bad driving (yes I watched the video); but - what difference does the fact that it is a flatbed make to it's turning ability? It will have exactly the same turning "ability" as any other truck or trailer built on the same chassis. Adding a roof and sides to it isn't going to affect it's turning ability.

Top Bottom