I need advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SandyJ15

I have cycled all my life and I'm now in my 60s training for Pedal for Scotland and finding I'm suffering from a sore neck and shoulder. What am I doing wrong and how can I rectify it?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A more upright position might help.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Spoons47

456E3736-FDDF-4316-8D60-5C265FB04161.jpeg
Those look helpful - thanks, I'm going to try them. (I have developed a stiff neck which is making looking over my shoulder difficult, which isn't great when riding in traffic!)

Go faster mirror lol

PaulSB

Legendary Member
https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/exercises-to-treat-shoulder-and-neck-pain-from-cycling

These exercises did wonders for me, a few times a day for two days and cured. Also angled my bars up 10 degrees

I needed NHS physio to address this exact problem which was causing me a great deal of discomfort. Strangely the only time I felt comfortable was on my bike.

With the exception of No.10 these are exactly the exercises I was given by the physio. I was advised to do 6, 7, 8 and 9 first in that order as a warm up. I was also advised to warm the muscles first before the exercises, this was after a shower, or with a hot water bottle or wheat bag placed on the neck for ten minutes.

Ideally the exercises are done five times a day. I managed three and my physio was happy with this. For me there was a significant immediate improvement but it took several months to "cure" the problem.

I had a bike fit by a second physio who offered the service. I felt the combination of qualified physio and very experienced cyclist put him in a good place to understand my issue. The change in position was beneficial in several ways.

I was given one additional stretch which was the hardest to do.Look down to the left with your chin touching your chest, place right hand on back of head and push head forward and down to extend the stretch, hold for five seconds. Repeat five times and then on the right side.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, especially wheat pack beforehand. Useful if sore generally

If the issue has been going on a while, an expert sports massage can be incredibly helpful after (and painful at the time!)

On longer rides your hands and wrists need to be in a neutral position with no forced rotation. Flat bars can rotate the hands which can work its way up to your shoulders.
Consider bars with a bit of rearwards sweep, or some butterfly style trekking bars or some bar ends.
Look at the overall location of your bars, the horizontal reach and vertical drop from saddle. You can use an adjustable stem to find your correct position, which may not be the same as anyone else's ideal position.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't assume that cycling is at fault. You're not ancient, but you're not a teenage either, and there can be other causes for such things, particularly if youve been riding up until now with issue. Don't get too fixated on a single cause until there's some evidence to support it.

Good luck with your training and ride.

Top Bottom