i need go faster stripes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shrew

got my new bike yesterday and took it out for a ride, ive been off my bike after a pretty messy accident for the last 8 months but im pretty shocked at how much my fitness has dropped.

yesterday i managed 14 miles at 14.1 mph the conditions were a little breezey but not bad at all.

Today i managed 11 miles at 13.5 mph in much the same conditions.

after both rides i was nackered, litterally had nothing left, is this normal, i was pretty surprised i was out of action after such a short amount of road time, i use to ride 15 miles everyday at 20+mph and come home feeling like i could do it a couple more times in the same day.

is this a normal amount of fitness to lose in that period of time? and will it take months to get back there?

thanks, Shrew )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Perfectly normal, and will take a few months of graft to get it back

OP
OP
S

shrew

cool, thanks, whats the best way to get back there? i was thinking push myself as far and fast as i can 3 days a week, then take a rest day, then do the 3 days pushing and take a rest day.

montage

God Almighty
8 months is no short time!
I would say spend a couple of weeks just doing pleasure rides, getting the miles in, getting to body used to it. Then consider training.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
shrew said:
got my new bike yesterday and took it out for a ride, ive been off my bike after a pretty messy accident for the last 8 months but im pretty shocked at how much my fitness has dropped.

yesterday i managed 14 miles at 14.1 mph the conditions were a little breezey but not bad at all.

Today i managed 11 miles at 13.5 mph in much the same conditions.

after both rides i was nackered, litterally had nothing left, is this normal, i was pretty surprised i was out of action after such a short amount of road time, i use to ride 15 miles everyday at 20+mph and come home feeling like i could do it a couple more times in the same day.

is this a normal amount of fitness to lose in that period of time? and will it take months to get back there?

thanks, Shrew )

I lost 2mph average after being off the bike for a little under 3 weeks due to a holiday, took me about a week and a half to get it back, at first it felt like I wasnt going to get it back, so after 8 months just plug away.

lukesdad

shrew said:
cool, thanks, whats the best way to get back there? i was thinking push myself as far and fast as i can 3 days a week, then take a rest day, then do the 3 days pushing and take a rest day.
I wouldn t do it that way,you ll end up going backwards. Get some base miles in, in your Aerobic zone. You d be better riding every other day to start with, the recovery day is every bit as important as your riding day in respect of building you strength, fitnesss and endurance. Do this for 4-6 weeks by all means do the odd fast ride if you want,but don t over do it. then review where you are in 6 weeks.

Top Bottom