I need new 650c wheels - oh my!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
My beloved Fuji junior class track bike that I've finally managed to tweak to my satisfaction needs new wheels. Apparently, the groves in the rims, especially in the rear wheel, are not an enhancement and increases the potential for a split. The front wheel isn't too bad but the additonal 'flat spot' isn't a great look either.

After almost two years, in all weathers, through London's potholes including the memorable one I fell into during the Chrismas Day monsoon, which probably created the flat spot, they've done well to last as long as they have.

Now the fun starts. I had a cursory look online for new wheels. Err, I'm not the only person with 650c wheels and a flipflop hub, so where are they? :ohmy:

I'll conduct a proper search during the long weekend because I don't really want to be without my beloved for longer than I have to :cry:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Don't buy ots, get 'em built

Flip flop hubs are in plentiful supply and 650c rims widely available. Mavic do Open Pro's in that size.

H Plus Son do to if you want something posey.

www.stradawheels.co.uk are good.

OP
OP
wanda2010

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks for the responses guys. I've had another suggestion of using 26 inch road wheels and long drop brakes as that gives me different tyre options. Lots to think about.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
make sure you get rims narrow enough to suit your preferred tyre choice and that there is enough width in your fork to give clearance for 26" rims/tyres. You may, with some wider 26" rims, struggle to get caliper brakes to clear the rim properly even if the drop is ok.

OP
OP
wanda2010

wanda2010

Guru
I've decided to stick with 650c wheels and get another bike later in the year. I found a local wheelbuilder but will probably go with Strada Wheels once I'm sober enough to make a decision. Hic!

OP
OP
wanda2010

wanda2010

Guru
Yep. Was a great idea at the time :giggle: A little suffering is going on right now but hopefully will have made a full recovery in time for my friend's wedding reception later today.

Back on topic - no more thoughts as yet. Brain not ready.

OP
OP
wanda2010

wanda2010

Guru
Part of my indulgent weekend (mild suffering today) included a visit to Brick Lane Bikes yesterday and ended up paying for new wheels: H+Son rims with black spokes. They will reuse my current hubs and replace current 20t cog with 21t cog as my knees are creaking. Due to collect this evening.

Kies

I'm working on brick lane (data centre) tommorow. Never knew there was a bike shop there, will have to wanda over at lunchtime ;-)

OP
OP
wanda2010

wanda2010

Guru
BLB is next to a betting shop and is at the Bishopsgate end of Brick Lane.

I collected my bike earlier and was amazed at the transformation from silver rims and spokes to black rims and spokes. I also changed the cranks to green and put green track nuts on the front wheel. I'll eventually change the manky red bar tape to green also.

The test ride was fabulous and the ride home was even better. I sailed over the rough bits that is the Bishopsgate to London Bridge route :wahhey: I do need to clean the bike though. It's a disgrace. Fortunately the mechs were understanding.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

OP
OP
wanda2010

wanda2010

Guru
I cleaned the bike last night, inspected tyres for bits, glued a few cuts and reinflated the tyres this morning. The journey wasn't as smooth which I put down to the tyres so I've taken some of the air out and will check the pressure and try riding with 100 front and rear rather than the current 110/120. Swopping from 20t to 21t has been great for my knees. Not a peep out of them :smile:.

Top Bottom