I need some help to identify this

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bjellys

Hi all I need some help to identify this bike I have just dug it out of an old garden shed that I rarely go in it has been there for about 17 years.

classic1_zps32e744da.jpg

classic2_zps58324015.jpg

classic3_zps8f6ea9f0.jpg

Thanks in advance

I don't think you need CC, I think you need Time Team!

Seriously though, that looks like a great project, I can't shed any light I'm afraid but I'm loving the split fork :becool:

porteous

Veteran
Humber forks. Do the remains of the headbadge and tube decals support that? Quite collectable/unusual.
Pre war SA 3 speed selector and SA dynohub lighting, so quite up market and should be savable as it looks complete (The rear dynamo and battery light are 50s/60s additions, I would lose them if I were you, both worth a few pennies on fleabay which could go towards a dynohub repair or replacement and appropriate rear and front lights).
The date on the 3 speed hub should date the bike for you.

OP
OP
bjellys

bjellys

Humber forks. Do the remains of the headbadge and tube decals support that? Quite collectable/unusual.
Pre war SA 3 speed selector and SA dynohub lighting, so quite up market and should be savable as it looks complete (The rear dynamo and battery light are 50s/60s additions, I would lose them if I were you, both worth a few pennies on fleabay which could go towards a dynohub repair or replacement and appropriate rear and front lights).
The date on the 3 speed hub should date the bike for you.

Top Marks porteous after a wipe with a cloth and some GT 85 I could see Humber on the chain guard and the Sturmey Archer 3 speed is a KB 6 which seems to date about 1932 - 1936 .
It has drum brakes front and rear ,the front brake must of stopped working so someone fitted a calliper brake.
The wheels are totally rusted and the spokes so any advise on restoration would be welcome.
the hubs are in remarkable condition as they have been covered in oil or grease.
My gut feeling is that I would like to totally strip it get it shot blasted and repaint it as new I know I am going to get shouts of don't do it but I am a freelance paint sprayer and would not be able to live with the rust on the frame.
I would be pleased to hear any any comments and will try to take them on-board.
Thanks so much.

porteous

Veteran
The paint and chrome is quite far gone (although the brightwork will clean up surprisingly with some wire wool and Autosol chrome cleaner). I think it would be lovely totally restored with new paintwork, especially if Lloyds have some period decals. The drum brakes are really interesting, I assumed I was looking at a dynohub. Great to get them working again. Your local LBS will almost certainly know of a wheelbuilder who can put new spokes and westrick rims on your hubs

porteous

Veteran
Now that is really nice!

If that is your headbadge I take back all I said about a repaint!

George VI on the decal puts if after 11 Dec 1936, so if yours is the same it would work nicely with the latter end of your SA hub as a late 1936/early 1937 bike

Kins

Über Member
Very nice find, good luck with the project! ;)

Top Bottom