I need to update a Windows XP PC. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Have you tried using Windows Update rather than going to the Microsoft update page? I had to do the same thing just last week and it worked fine for me that way. Once I had installed the 124(!) security updates, it let me install IE8. Prior to that the machine was using IE6.

GC
That sounds hopeful, especially since it worked for you really recently I'll thrash about and see of I can get Updates to perform.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is win update for xp still going ?
I will admit my main pc has been upgraded to win 7 64 bit which cost £35 for am oem disk+ key and its worth the headache of re installing and backing up data .
I went the route of installing the new os on a separate drive and using the old drive as a secondary , mind you my mobo can handle more ram than win 32 bit allows so it was worth the hassle for me.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Is win update for xp still going ?
I will admit my main pc has been upgraded to win 7 64 bit which cost £35 for am oem disk+ key and its worth the headache of re installing and backing up data .
I went the route of installing the new os on a separate drive and using the old drive as a secondary , mind you my mobo can handle more ram than win 32 bit allows so it was worth the hassle for me.
I just tried to open Windows Update and got this message..

Microsoft Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site http://support.microsoft.com/kb...etc etc etc.
Operation aborted

andyfraser

Über Member
Do you know if that will work on a single PC? It's for network installations and I don't want it to do something obscure.
I should do. It downloads an EXE of the entire service pack (just over 300MB). It can be placed on a networked drive or on a USB key or DVD. There are a couple of questions: second option for first question and skip the second question.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's just finished downloading onto a USB drive H on my good machine. Should I just pull out the drive,and put it in my wonky machine. What do I have to do then?

EDIT: I got curious and put the USB stick in the wonky machine and opened up the download. Things started happening. The Update Installation Wizard has appeared and he seems to be weaving his magic! I'm off round Richmond Park. I can't take any more excitement.:smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Right! Partial success. SP3 is safely installed on the now-not-so wonky PC. I tried to download IE8 from a Microsoft website and it wouldn't let me. Have any of you good people got any suggestions? Thank you.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
If I could find software to run the camera on Linux, I would. I was recently given a small Laptop SSD and decided to load Linux Mint on it. I have been very happy with it. It is very fast but I am sure the SSD has something to do with that as well. The OS is very light and easy to install. If you feel a little more adventurous use Ubuntu, it is not as user friendly to Windows users. I have been very impressed with Linux Mint. It takes a little bit of learning but I may not ever buy a Windows OS again, unless I need it for work. Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon I would read the instructions on how to install Chrome after you get it installed and you should be good to go. Just thought I would throw an alternative out there, the 32 bit should work nicely on an older machine. :smile: It will be much easier to set up than windows with all the Service packs and updates and all the other hoops they want you to jump thru.

I'll second the comments about Linux Mint, it really is very good. I bought a new machine, removed Win8 & replaced it with Mint. I've installed XP & Win7 on virtual machines so I can still run MS only software.

You really only want to install the latest version of IE & the Windows Update software should do that for you. You'd probably be better off with Chrome tho'.

Of course XP is now no longer receiving any new security updates so although a recent problem didn't affect XP future ones may do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'll second the comments about Linux Mint, it really is very good. I bought a new machine, removed Win8 & replaced it with Mint. I've installed XP & Win7 on virtual machines so I can still run MS only software.

You really only want to install the latest version of IE & the Windows Update software should do that for you. You'd probably be better off with Chrome tho'.

Of course XP is now no longer receiving any new security updates so although a recent problem didn't affect XP future ones may do.
I don't care about security on this machine. It's going to be entirely dedicated to images of tits in the nest box. Thanks for the suggestion of using Windows Update to get IE8. Update didn't work with SP1 but it does with SP3. The PC is currently grinding through 133 updates and I think I spotted IE8 on the list. We will see.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Blimey! Well done you wonderful people! The PC now has Windows XP SP3 and IE8. Yes, Yes....it isn't exactly cutting edge is it?.. but it gives me a familiar base from which to sally forth into the terrifying country of current technology.

Many thanks to our local heroes...

@classic33 :cheers:
@Nigel-YZ1:cheers:
@cyberknight :cheers:
@glasgowcyclist:cheers:
@andyfraser:cheers:
@RWright:cheers:
@Crackle:cheers:
@mybike:cheers:
@0-markymark-0:cheers:

Top Bottom