I need to update a Windows XP PC. Please help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
One last thing that I need help with. I went to a few non-Microsoft sites to try to find SP3 and IE8. In the process I seem to have acquired a curious browser add-on called Binkiland that appears top right when I open IE. Initially, it just replaced Google and I dealt with it, but it's lurking about sending me spurious websites out of the blue. I read about it and it seems quite a recent phenomenon, and faintly sinister. Do any of you good people know how to rid of this pest? Thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Many thanks cyberknight. I followed the first few steps on that first website that you posted,http://www.spyware-techie.com/binkiland-com-removal-guide, and I seem to have escaped from the curse of Binkiland. Unfortunately, I also downloaded what looked like a free malware remover, SpyHunter. It did a lengthy scan and came up with an impressive lists of risks detected on my PC. On pressing the Erase tab, it asked for $30 for a six month subscription and details of my credit card. I declined. Another page came up saying I could have the same deal for a bargain $10, at which point I tried to walk away. SpyHunter just won't go away! Google SpyHunter and you will see endless posts about their shady practices.
When I was a kid I was taught a nursery rhyme, "There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". Getting rid of unwanted software seems to involve acquiring even grosser unwanted software.

classic33

Leg End Member
Control panel, Programs, and bring up the list of programs currently installed.
Highlight SpyHunter and then Remove.

Option should also be there in the start menu, Programs, SpyHunter.

Pick one of the results, at random, do a search and see if its actually on the compter. Chances are it won't be.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Control panel, Programs, and bring up the list of programs currently installed.
Highlight SpyHunter and then Remove.

Option should also be there in the start menu, Programs, SpyHunter.

Pick one of the results, at random, do a search and see if its actually on the compter. Chances are it won't be.
It's there. I start my PC from cold and the SpyHunter box is right in the middle of my Desktop. If I go to Control Panel and use Add/Remove programs, SpyHunter takes me to the Uninstall section and......sends me a $10 advert offer from which there is no escape.

machew

Veteran
Start in Safe mode by pressing F8 before the windows splash screen appears and select Safe mode. Then try and remove it. If that fails download MalwareBytes and run that in safe mode

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Start in Safe mode by pressing F8 before the windows splash screen appears and select Safe mode. Then try and remove it. If that fails download MalwareBytes and run that in safe mode

This suggestion ^^^ should sort the matter out for you.

Start the PC in Safe Mode and then run Malwarebytes .

classic33

Leg End Member
It's there. I start my PC from cold and the SpyHunter box is right in the middle of my Desktop. If I go to Control Panel and use Add/Remove programs, SpyHunter takes me to the Uninstall section and......sends me a $10 advert offer from which there is no escape.
How are they sending the add if its not connected to the internet?

To avoid downloading anything else.
Start, Run, type msconfig, click on run. Tab marked StartUp, uncheck the box alongside SpyHunter, Apply.
You then get the opportunity to exit without restart or exit with restart. Either way, the next time you start the computer a box will be shown which informs you that you ran msconfig, tick the box that states Do not display this message at startup.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
How are they sending the add if its not connected to the internet?
The advert appears when you are about to start the Uninstall process when using the Control Panel. The advert blocks the section of the screen which would allow you to press various on-screen buttons for the SpyHunter Uninstaller. I guess SpyHunter automatically connects to the internet. Thanks to your suggestion, I decided to unplug the LAN/Ethernet cable that runs between the PC and my router. Bingo! No Internet connection is possible, the advert didn't appear and the Uninstall buttons were accessible. SpyHunter is now consigned to the dustbin of history. Thank you for your help.:cheers:

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
The advert appears when you are about to start the Uninstall process when using the Control Panel. The advert blocks the section of the screen which would allow you to press various on-screen buttons for the SpyHunter Uninstaller. I guess SpyHunter automatically connects to the internet. Thanks to your suggestion, I decided to unplug the LAN/Ethernet cable that runs between the PC and my router. Bingo! No Internet connection is possible, the advert didn't appear and the Uninstall buttons were accessible. SpyHunter is now confined to the dustbin of history. Thank you for your help.:cheers:
Similar problem encountered, but it was a picture included in the download that kept on popping up. No internet connection, but still the picture was there.

Top Bottom