I need YOUR help in buying a new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd be very interested. And no, it doesn't necessarily have to be new.
I'll text my friend to see if he knows what his friend is doing bike-wise! :okay:

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
So I found out today what's happening. Doubtless, most of you will be aware of this but it's the combination of a few things.

You all may have noticed the dramatic rise in the cost of bikes recently. By bikes, I mean those that aren't prefixed by 'Gents' or 'Ladies' that you may find on Amazon or the more low-end shops.

Firstly, the Panama Canal blockage exacerbated by the virus and the workers' isolation has created a storm across the board. The push for greener energy has meant that the demand for carbon fibre needed for the blades of these giant wind turbines coupled with (ironically) the need for the same material for the A380 airplane has seen these industries get priority and has created a quite dramatic shortage across the cycling world.

I was told by the owner of a large cycling concern today that he was being quoted lead times of August/September 2022 for spare parts and regular components. And that's only if things don't get worse, which they very well may do. He did mention certain companies being particularly bad but I won't mention them here. It would be very unfair in a rather Giant way. There were very few bikes left in the store (only three very large road bikes amongst them) and he couldn't say with any certainty when he'd be getting any replacements for the bikes back in.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not a snob or anything, but my new bike must be equipped a with Campagnolo groupset. ......

So I shopped around but nearly all bikes now come with Shimano. I've got nothing against Shimano, I'm just more comfortable with the Italian specs Campag bring.

Well, you've convinced me anyway! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
So I found out today what's happening. Doubtless, most of you will be aware of this but it's the combination of a few things.

You all may have noticed the dramatic rise in the cost of bikes recently. By bikes, I mean those that aren't prefixed by 'Gents' or 'Ladies' that you may find on Amazon or the more low-end shops.

Firstly, the Panama Canal blockage exacerbated by the virus and the workers' isolation has created a storm across the board. The push for greener energy has meant that the demand for carbon fibre needed for the blades of these giant wind turbines coupled with (ironically) the need for the same material for the A380 airplane has seen these industries get priority and has created a quite dramatic shortage across the cycling world.

I was told by the owner of a large cycling concern today that he was being quoted lead times of August/September 2022 for spare parts and regular components. And that's only if things don't get worse, which they very well may do. He did mention certain companies being particularly bad but I won't mention them here. It would be very unfair in a rather Giant way. There were very few bikes left in the store (only three very large road bikes amongst them) and he couldn't say with any certainty when he'd be getting any replacements for the bikes back in.
What happened with the Basso models that looked to be available?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
What happened with the Basso models that looked to be available?
They do have a few actually available. Most you have to order but they have some in my size ready to ship but it would be a bit of a compromise. I'm still exploring that avenue though.

T4tomo

Guru
Indeed there have been several threads on here discussing this over the course of the last few months....

vickster

Legendary Member
They do have a few actually available. Most you have to order but they have some in my size ready to ship but it would be a bit of a compromise. I'm still exploring that avenue though.
I think any off the peg bike can be a compromise if wanting something very specific and money no object.
In your shoes, I'd source the right frame, all the parts (at the best online prices/via LBS), and pay my trusted LBS a few hundred to build.

This is what I did with my Genesis (although a friend actually built it for me), and I'm very happy with the spec (I have added some handbuilt wheels since as the ones I used were a bit spoke light for me on what is sort of a tourer/utility bike).

I actually really enjoyed the part sourcing bit, of course it cost more than an off the peg (with Shimano :ph34r:) but it's actually lovely to ride (9000 miles or so in)

Top Bottom