I overtook someone for the first time today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You were too honest in your comment jay. The art of commuter overtakes is to not make it look like it was hard work.

You should've stopped pedalling, let the bike freewheel, put one hand on your waist and say 'is that the best you can do?'

Only messing with you mate, feels good though doesn't it.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Nice pass:

Pretending that it is easy makes it clear that you are really struggling. Far better to sound patronisingly empathetic, and elicit a response that makes your prey even more out of breath!

Seriously, great feeling to think that you can climb better than the man in front.

Gixxerman

Guru
Good feeling isn't it?
I try to make it look like I'm not trying that hard when I pass.
It gets better if they are on some very expensive / fast looking machine and you are not.

I was out on my hybrid for a 50 miler into the wolds last Sunday.
The route I planned just happened (not deliberate) to use some sections of an event that was being run (bikemania or something like that). Going up a quite steepish hill I approached and passed a couple of very trick racers and guys sporting all the racer gear. They didn't look too pleased with my freindly "Hiya!" as I passed them.
I was feeling quite smug as I looked behind me and seeing them still receding.
Then a few minutes later without warning a bloke dressed in blue work overalls and a backpack on a very battered mountain bike came passed me like an train - quite literally - panting and steaming. He must have passed the racers as well as there were no junctions on that section of road, so they must have been even less impressed. I thought that I would catch him up again when on the straight and level, but as I rounded a bend at the top of the hill he was disappearing into the distance. Maybe he was late for work, or might have been on a promise. Either way the bloke was a hero! Strange day.

Top Bottom