"I passed you on your bike, I can't believe you got here before me"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
but presumably you would have to shower before leaving if going by car? So shower time is cancelled out?

Nope. I work shifts so for lates and nights it's an extra shower that I wouldn't have if I came by car. The point stands for earlies though!

The big bonuses of cycling in for me have nothing to do with time though - it's the fitness and money saving

D

Deleted member 1258

Six and a half mile commute, car fifteen minutes, bike twenty five minutes, but the bikes more fun.

One of the girls at work (I say girl, she's 30 now, I remember her as the 19yo office junior) said to me today how she drove past me about 3 miles away from work

"I can't believe you're here before me!" she remarked

"Yes, and I stopped at Tesco, locked my bike, did some shopping, loaded up and STILL got here before you"

Perhaps that answers the question "how come you cycle when you've got a car?"
You are a machine , a walking , talking, hill crushing , cycling machine, i take my hat off to you . Thats one in the eye for the car commuters.:cycle:

400bhp

Guru
Perhaps, but it wouldn't show the spread of the data. My graph is showing the real data points. If it's any help (and if you're still interested), here's a link to my actual data (an image) :thumbsup::
https://sites.google.com/site/victorssharezone/Home/Commute-times-survey-201007-2.jpg

In any case, I think we can all agree that regardless of the numbers, there are so many benefits to cycling that it doesn't really matter that much how short or long the trip is.

Sample mean & variance, then (if not obvious) do a probability distribution.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Commuted by train to Euston from 1990 until I took redundancy last November. Worked in Lincoln's Inn/Chancery Lane until summer 2013 then Victoria/Westminster. for 6 months.

Bus/tube would be 20-40 minutes depending on service frequency and traffic. Walking to Lincoln's Inn was 25min.

Bike was 15 min to Chancery Lane and 20 to Westminster - consistent except that Westminster involved the Strand which could be solid @ 09:30.

Norbert

I am extremely fortunate. My commute of 14 miles is exclusively on country roads, although uphill overall on the way to work. No traffic lights and only 3 T junctions to negotiate. Downside is when it comes to the time versus car debate. A fraction under the hour for the bike but generally 25 minutes (unless there is an accident) in the car. With showering and changing at work, dark country lanes, potholes, punctures and general logistics, it is easy to make excuses. However, even with the time imbalance, the feel good factor and the ability to eat and drink with reckless abandon, means the bike wins hands down every time. :hungry:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I work from home so got here before I left.
That's what I was going to say! :laugh:

(I like to think my late-morning spin is my commute.)

Top Bottom