I pity the children...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Most people are shocked if I tell them I cycle for local journeys. The most I do getting round town is 5 miles return or about 8 if I combine town and supermarkets. They think that's an amazing distance!

When I tell people I go on 40 mile rides for fun they think I'm crazy.

Most have a perception that cycling's suicidally dangerous.

Nearly all are incredulous if told that cycling's safer now than at any other time during their lifetime!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BentMikey said:
It's both sad and disgraceful that people think the relatively minor exercise we do is so extreme.

You said it...............

Sat waiting in a local hospital's Pain Clinic yesterday... (my off last December)... WTF am I doing here..... :evil:....

I'm signed off the shoulder clinic, but I still have pain 24/7 in arm/shoulder.....

Anyway, went along, as a good boy I am, listened and talked to the 'consultant'....... Oh I could give you this, that. 3 x times a day...but you don't sound like you'll want that...... TOO BLOODY RIGHT......:angry:

He was actually good - you'll be left with a 'pain problem', but it's use it or lose it'..... fine...watch out you lot.................. not just a pain in the arse, but a permanent pain in the arm..........:biggrin:

Where was I..oh yeh.... yes cyclists are nuts............ we ride a bike for more than a mile...........:angry:

garrilla

There is a woman in our place - some of you may remember her, she complained to ther MD that my entering the office in sweaty lycra was some form of provocation against the un-excercised - she thinks that it is child cruelty that my daughter is taken on 10 mile rides of a Sunday. Of course her kids would never be made to do such a thing.

This is not surprising as she is also shocked that my kids happily eat veg and fruit where as hers will only eats carbs from a box.

We also had a rude awakening last week when our girl went to Breakfast club at school for the first time. When asked what she wanted she asked for Weetabix but they didn't have any. She then asked for porridge but they didn't have any either. They then offered Frosties, CoCo Pops or Golden Nuggets. She turned them down because she'd never had anything like this before - there's no need for sugar like this. The supervisor explained thats the only kinds of cereals the kids will eat but she did agree to add Weetabix to the options but was shocked when mrsG said not to put sugar on them.

On my ride in the morning I pass a MaccyD drive in. There are always cars coming out of there with kids in on the way to school.

It probably makes me seems like a snob. Tough luck I rather be a snob with healthy kids..

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
garrilla said:
There is a woman in our place - some of you may remember her, she complained to ther MD that my entering the office in sweaty lycra was some form of provocation against the un-excercised - she thinks that it is child cruelty that my daughter is taken on 10 mile rides of a Sunday. Of course her kids would never be made to do such a thing.

This is not surprising as she is also shocked that my kids happily eat veg and fruit where as hers will only eats carbs from a box.

We also had a rude awakening last week when our girl went to Breakfast club at school for the first time. When asked what she wanted she asked for Weetabix but they didn't have any. She then asked for porridge but they didn't have any either. They then offered Frosties, CoCo Pops or Golden Nuggets. She turned them down because she'd never had anything like this before - there's no need for sugar like this. The supervisor explained thats the only kinds of cereals the kids will eat but she did agree to add Weetabix to the options but was shocked when mrsG said not to put sugar on them.

On my ride in the morning I pass a MaccyD drive in. There are always cars coming out of there with kids in on the way to school.

It probably makes me seems like a snob. Tough luck I rather be a snob with healthy kids..
Have to be honest here - I hate bigmacs and burger king fast food. I'm no way a food snob either but that stuff just makes me wretch. Give me fish and chips any day!

PBancroft

downfader said:
Have to be honest here - I hate bigmacs and burger king fast food. I'm no way a food snob either but that stuff just makes me wretch. Give me fish and chips any day!

It's odd. On principle I really don't like McDonalds or Burger King. The food is worse than supermarket ready meals: badly sourced, badly prepared, badly cooked crap. And it tastes like it too.

However every now and then - once every six to twelve months or so - I get a real hankering for a McDonalds meal. A right proper craving. Usually I'll eventually succumb and go out to purchase one. I'll then sit by the side of the road and eat about half of it, feel a bit sick and throw the rest away... Just before I promise myself never to darken their doors again.

PaulB

Legendary Member
humptygocart said:
The roads are clogged with people queueing to get to the gym and sit on exercise bikes.

Parents drive their obese, car-reliant slugs to school rather than let them cycle because "there are too many cars".

The Argos catalogue shows every child on a bike wearing a helmet but the kids in those little electric cars go helmetless.

Radio and TV personalities joke about using their vehicle as a weapon to bully cyclists, or joke about shooting cyclists, or joke about stringing up wire to hurt cyclists.

Half of all urban car journeys are less than two miles long.

The worst of us are held up as typical behaviour of all of us, I've been shouted at by drivers to get off the road and cycle on the pavement, then when I tell someone I cycle they say "I hate cyclists, you all cycle on pavements!".

What an excellent post. It deserves bumping. Chapeau!

skrx

downfader said:
Cant even eat their fries tbh. They're a bit greasy in a bad way and dont taste right to me:blush:

I'm always disappointed with McDonald's/Burger King. Last week I was really hungry, in a hurry, and about to go to the pub to see some friends. I was in Leicester Square, and in front of me was an independent pizza restaurant that also sold slices of pizza to take away, and Burger King. On some strange impulse I went into Burger King, hoping it would be faster, more filling, and cheaper. I was wrong on all three counts :-(. That's my American fast food for 2009 over with though.

("Sorry sir, I need to cook more fries". This is Leicester Square Burger King, and they don't have fries ready for serving!?)

The Burger King site says the beef really is 100% cow (which bits...) but everything else (bun, cheese etc) is packed full of preservatives.

PBancroft

skrx said:
The Burger King site says the beef really is 100% cow (which bits...)

To be fair, most burgers, sausages, faggots etc. will be made from reclaimed meat. Probably eyes, brain too.

Can't say I'm too concerned. I'd rather it was used than wasted. What does concern me is badly reared animals going into food. Crap in, crap out.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Kaipaith said:
To be fair, most burgers, sausages, faggots etc. will be made from reclaimed meat. Probably eyes, brain too.

Can't say I'm too concerned. I'd rather it was used than wasted. What does concern me is badly reared animals going into food. Crap in, crap out.

Thats true. Nothing wrong with eating eyes, liver, kidneys and brain (nearly wrote Brian ;))

Infact there are old Brit recipes for sheep brain and kidney pie iirc. With sausages its the sinew and chewy bits I hate - no need to include ligaments if you ask me, just add bread crumbs like the good sausage makers do.

PBancroft

downfader said:
With sausages its the sinew and chewy bits I hate - no need to include ligaments if you ask me, just add bread crumbs like the good sausage makers do.

Now that's why you need a good butcher. You'll never have a chewy sausage again.

Twanger

Über Member
Ah..give me offal and suspicious organs...lovely! Liver and bacon. Tripe. Gorgeous! Unhealthy, but what the hell.

And Burger King. I eat Burger King probably once a month, always at Victoria Station going home somewhat squiffy late at night (on the train!). Then it tastes just fine.

Top Bottom