I rather like this .........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...959075?hash=item2d1d3b6123:g:McsAAOSw0PtfvAwC

but then, this is 10 mins from me and a fraction of the cost

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...230036?hash=item2d1d20ff14:g:YX0AAOSwsUJfuslK

Thoughts ? 23” frame so a 58. Usually a 56 but more looking for it as a bike to tinker and make A1 & if worth a punt what would be max to pay ?

And finally.......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-...699221?hash=item4467c460d5:g:rlwAAOSw7TNflC9W

A google search shows @biggs682 had one and a detailed restoration. Be interested in your thoughts and if I should pull the pin and purchase.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice but remember only one bid placed and reserve not met. I wouldn't expect it to reach even half of the fully restored BJ but I think you're going to have to dig a little deeper.:smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The BJ is only a small size, apart from being outrageously expensive. It's probably not far off the price of what it cost new in real terms.
The middle one is a realistic size and ATM, a realistic price. Whether it's a sensible option depends on how high the reserve is, but potentially it's a nice machine.
The third one is again a realistic size but a bit on the pricey side, especially considering we are almost into December which is not prime cycling weather for riding road bikes with no mudguards.
Don't fall into the trap of believing the going rate for a bike is the BIN price or starting bid price on an eBay auction. The real market value is what those bikes that do actually sell, go for. Anyone can stick up a speculative listing at an inflated number, like the BJ, in the hope that someone who hasn't done their homework and has no idea how much a decent 531 bike cost when it was new, will hit the button.
When I bought my Raleigh Royal around a year ago, I had been watching them and Dawes Galaxy tourers, come and go for over a year. Most were either not my size, at the other end of the country, or way overpriced - sometimes all three. Eventually, after a huge amount of patience (something I'm really not renowned for) one popped up less than 20 miles away in my size and at my sort of price, which is what I ride now. It looked a bit scruffy and neglected, purely because of the state of the mudguards, rack and saddle. The seller made no attempt to pretty it up or put a load of BS in the description, so a very honest sale by an honest seller. Actual condition is way better than it looked, once I took off the rack and guards, that I didn't want for fair weather leisure rides anyway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tripster

The BJ is only a small size, apart from being outrageously expensive. It's probably not far off the price of what it cost new in real terms.
The middle one is a realistic size and ATM, a realistic price. Whether it's a sensible option depends on how high the reserve is, but potentially it's a nice machine.
The third one is again a realistic size but a bit on the pricey side, especially considering we are almost into December which is not prime cycling weather for riding road bikes with no mudguards.
Don't fall into the trap of believing the going rate for a bike is the BIN price or starting bid price on an eBay auction. The real market value is what those bikes that do actually sell, go for. Anyone can stick up a speculative listing at an inflated number, like the BJ, in the hope that someone who hasn't done their homework and has no idea how much a decent 531 bike cost when it was new, will hit the button.
When I bought my Raleigh Royal around a year ago, I had been watching them and Dawes Galaxy tourers, come and go for over a year. Most were either not my size, at the other end of the country, or way overpriced - sometimes all three. Eventually, after a huge amount of patience (something I'm really not renowned for) one popped up less than 20 miles away in my size and at my sort of price, which is what I ride now. It looked a bit scruffy and neglected, purely because of the state of the mudguards, rack and saddle. The seller made no attempt to pretty it up or put a load of BS in the description, so a very honest sale by an honest seller. Actual condition is way better than it looked, once I took off the rack and guards, that I didn't want for fair weather leisure rides anyway.
Yes I favour the Raleigh but not at £265. I was considering an offer of £150 as its mechanical sound, rideable and not far from me. Would you say this is still a touch too much for the Raleigh ?
Thanks for the advice @SkipdiverJohn

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I dunno but £265 doesn't seem too far out especially in the present climate. it's a seller's market now.
I should grab biggsy's before it goes. Bit of a bargain that.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I should grab biggsy's before it goes. Bit of a bargain that.

Mine went ages ago .

Yes I favour the Raleigh but not at £265. I was considering an offer of £150 as its mechanical sound, rideable and not far from me. Would you say this is still a touch too much for the Raleigh ?
Thanks for the advice @SkipdiverJohn
I think £150 is a high price in the current times .
I have bought lot nicer bikes than that recently and not paid that much either .
Where are you based @Tripster ?

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Mine went ages ago .

I have bought lot nicer bikes than that recently and not paid that much either .
Near Lancaster

OP
OP
T

Tripster

I was initially just browsing with the idea of an old steel frame and restoring it, having it resprayed back to original and then building it back up, or something like. Now I totally understand this is not cost effective and the bike will never be worth even a quarter of the cost to spray it but that’s not the idea behind doing it. I just fancied a project to tinker with when back home. The BJ was a liking of colour scheme and style, not to the bike or the price. Having just purchased a new Mason I am not in a position to drop near a grand on a project build. Unless I want a divorce that is

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Mine went ages ago .

An update to this. I like to be decent and respectful ( most of the time ) so after asking initial questions and then reading advice from @biggs682 & @SkipdiverJohn I respectfully declined to make an offer on the Raleigh as I felt it would be rude to offer such a low price. The owner replied with “you miss every shot you don’t take” and if I would genuinely enjoy the bike then no offence taken by an offer.
As I was considering a re spray at Bob Jacksons in Leeds, there would be little else to do to this bike as he says everything has just been serviced, headstock, BB, hubs, drivetrain so maybe he has refurbished it to sell on 🤷‍♂️

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
As a general rule I try to steer clear of secondhand dealers in pretty much anything, as by the very nature you are unlikely to get that much of a deal, since they have to make a profit. The exceptions, where I have had a couple of genuine bargains, are the house clearance types who mostly trade all sorts of bulky domestic stuff not specifically bikes, and who value a fast turnover rather than holding out for top money. With my 531 framed Raleigh hybrid and Royal tourer purchases I'm 99.9% certain the vendor was such a person in both cases, looking at what else they had for sale and their previous feedback. Neither seemed to be specifically into bikes, they were just something else to flog for a few quid much like a chest of drawers.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

As a general rule I try to steer clear of secondhand dealers in pretty much anything, as by the very nature you are unlikely to get that much of a deal, since they have to make a profit. The exceptions, where I have had a couple of genuine bargains, are the house clearance types who mostly trade all sorts of bulky domestic stuff not specifically bikes, and who value a fast turnover rather than holding out for top money. With my 531 framed Raleigh hybrid and Royal tourer purchases I'm 99.9% certain the vendor was such a person in both cases, looking at what else they had for sale and their previous feedback. Neither seemed to be specifically into bikes, they were just something else to flog for a few quid much like a chest of drawers.
So you wouldn’t bother with this then ?

Top Bottom