I remember my first (VERY yellow) bike....in 1956

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I remember the Olympic Tommy Godwin, used to go into his Birmingham shop occasionally.
I'm probably not old enough to properly qualify for this thread, but on behalf of my 90 year old dad I still have his bike from the 50's, a Sun Wasp I think it is. Reynolds 531, 3 speed derailleur, butterfly nuts on the hubs, 26" steel rims, double bottle cage on the straight handlebars, with original aluminium bottles and cork stoppers.
Lovely bike, John has got a similar bike in his shop but that's a Raleigh 531 frame with a close ratio 3 speed SA Hub with the equivalent of 1 tooth above and 1 below the rear sprocket gearing

ayceejay

Guru
For some weird reason my parents bought me a bike, a little blue thing, for my 6th or 7th birthday even though I couldn't ride it. I pushed it to school and they had me stand on the stage with it to sing happy birthday and after school I pushed it home.
I did learn on my mums bike later, she called it her primrose bike because it was so high you could see the primroses on the other side of the hedge. I couldn't reach the saddle so cornering was hard and I still have the gravel in my knee to prove it (not really).and going down hill was a nightmare.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My first proper bike my dad made for me from scrapped parts, he also built my two sisters bikes at the same time. He'd have a fit if I told him how much I now spend on bikes.

Top Bottom