I seem to be too short for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans will order bikes in for a £50 refundable deposit, they'll let you take it out on the roads too

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome to CC!
I'm only 1.60 - that's a wee bit shorter than 5ft 4 :smile:
Biggest bike I can ride is 17inc ladies step through frame, which is not the smallest available btw.
On unisex frames I need xxs.
I can't touch the ground on any of my bikes while seated, you should slide of the saddle on stopping, maybe also lean the bike a bit sideways if the top tube is in the way.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for all the answers. Its a road or hybrid which I'm looking for, as I'll be using it to go to places around the city.

Do you guys know if I can fit a 26 inch tyre on a 27.5 inch wheel? if not, can I fit on 26 inch wheels?
You can get road bikes with 650c wheels. Look at the btwin triban range at decathlon, but really at your height, there'll be no issue with a 700c, you just need to find the right frame size

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

Welcome!

Usually if the saddle is at the right height for pedalling, you should only be able to get the ends of your shoes to touch the ground unless the bike is leaned over a bit. However, if you need the saddle all the way down to achieve this, the frame is too big. In some cases and on some bikes, you won't even be able to do that.

What kind of bikes are you looking for? If you are looking at an MTB type, then 18 inches is not the smallest that they go. I'm 5'10" and ride an 18" MTB, which is the Medium size in most ranges. You aren't too short for cycling either. :smile:

Thats the problem, the 18 inch frames I tried sitting on is the smallest size they do. But if I am able to just about touch the ground with the very end of my toe while the saddle is at its lowest, is there anything wrong with that?

OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

As the others have said, you are not too small to ride a bike. Find a decent bike shop, it sounds like the one you went to is run by idiots. Where are you based? Just a rough idea, not your address :smile: one of the CCers might live in the area and could recommend a good bike shop for you.

Barnet, North London. I could pretty much shop around anywhere in London.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to evans as a first post of call (big one near Oxford street and smaller local ones too), could also try the giant store near. St. Paul's (among others), specialized at Covent garden, decathlon at Canada water, the world is your lobster in London :biggrin:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thats the problem, the 18 inch frames I tried sitting on is the smallest size they do. But if I am able to just about touch the ground with the very end of my toe while the saddle is at its lowest, is there anything wrong with that?
What shop did you go to, wasn't halfords was it!? Stand over height is an important measurement on a roadbike / hybrid, and reach to the handlebars when the saddle is set up right, not necessarily where the saddle is height wise

Pat "5mph"

I know where your coming from Thursday guy. I'm 5ft 3in tall and had hell of a time getting my first road bike. I visited 10 shops in nw England and not one had a small size in to try, one shop even asked for a £100 non returnable deposit to get one in.at the 11 attempt I found a shop with 2 in a trek and a giant , same price ended up buying the 47 cm framed trek it felt better on the test ride. Now bare in mind this was in May when you would think the shops would be full not at the end of season.
Apparently there is a shortage :smile: of short people wanting a bike, so the shops stock more medium and large. All the end of season sale bikes seemed to be a large frame.
I'm not a great fan of the unisex "sloped" top tube frames, my 47cm Merida is small enough for my feet to hit the front mudguard on tight turns, but not small enough not to bash my below :blush: in case I need to jump off quickly.
I find older bikes have a geometry more suited to short legged people like us, my more comfy frame is one reconditioned from the 90's step through.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Apparently there is a shortage :smile: of short people wanting a bike, so the shops stock more medium and large. All the end of season sale bikes seemed to be a large frame.
I'm not a great fan of the unisex "sloped" top tube frames, my 47cm Merida is small enough for my feet to hit the front mudguard on tight turns, but not small enough not to bash my below :blush: in case I need to jump off quickly.
I find older bikes have a geometry more suited to short legged people like us, my more comfy frame is one reconditioned from the 90's step through.
Oooh, you don't want to bash your below. When I was about 12, I had to jump off my older cousin's bike in a hurry and broke my pubic bone. You really really don't want to do that.

@Thursday guy the smaller Giants are really good, as are the small Treks. I have friends who are a good 4" shorter than me with Giants and Treks and they love them.

Pat "5mph"

Oooh, you don't want to bash your below. When I was about 12, I had to jump off my older cousin's bike in a hurry and broke my pubic bone. You really really don't want to do that.
That's why I never ride my Merida on beginners rides or on dubious cycle paths. Thinking about selling it actually, but it cost me quite a bit because it was customized. Makes a great tourer though, extra low gears, disk brakes, rack, Marathons, ergo grips.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
That's why I never ride my Merida on beginners rides or on dubious cycle paths. Thinking about selling it actually, but it cost me quite a bit because it was customized. Makes a great tourer though, extra low gears, disk brakes, rack, Marathons, ergo grips.
How about getting some of that pipe insulation stuff and cushioning the crossbar. Just in case :smile:

Top Bottom