I seem to be too short for cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No point in spending time worrying about what other people think of the bike you ride, in fact most people think we are mad for riding any bike.
Anyway, ISLA now have a specific adult bike in their catalogue, and if you know anything about bikes you will know that ISLA are great bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh that's news to me. I'll be sure to do that as there are a few bikes from Evans that fit my budget. Where do these test rides take place, just around their car park?

No, they let you take them wherever you want for as long as you want. They charge a penny to your card abd keep card and ID as collateral

wanda2010

Guru
:ohmy: :ohmy: Paging @wanda2010: Cycleops is talking nonsense again.

Forgive him TMN, he knows not of which he speaks, cos he ain't a diminutive cycling person :smile:

Three of my bikes are children's bikes*: Islabike Luath small, Fuji classic track and a Fuji Ace roadbike. My Trek 1.2 is a titch bike also, but wasn't marketed as a child or woman's bike.......... I'm 4'11 with, in cycling terms, a short torso so reach is what determines any bike I get. I changed all the stems to 60mm and bars to 38cm to ensure the best fit possible (after advice from a bike fitting) but my next purchase will be a custom bike. Also, when I first learnt to ride, my saddle was low enough that I could put a foot on the ground whilst seated. At that same bike fitting, I was persuaded to raise the saddle to the point that I have to be unseated to have a foot on the ground. Now that was a steep learning curve, but I can't imagine cycling any other way and my knees would probably complain if I did.

*Forgot to add only the Islabike has 700c wheels. The others are 650c. My bike fitter and one framebuilder that I've spoken with would like to see more 650c wheeled bikes available for shorter people instead of shops trying to force us onto larger-wheeled bikes.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Bit of a stigma though riding a bike meant for a child. And there's really no need to resort to that for most.
Islabikes do a bike for adults as well, my brother in law has one. And I occasionally see men riding 24inch bikes. I don't see it as having a stigma, when I see them, only if they persist in having the saddle significantly too low or too high!

Edit: I see others have answered quicker than me

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If that were the case surely they wouldn't sell any, and yet they do.
I thought you could see I wasn't being entirely serious. I meant the people on here would know. Of course they sell their bikes, if you only want to spend Apollo money you buy an Apollo, it's only later you find out!

simongt

Guru
Sound advice from those who suggest the straight leg with heel on pedal at lowest point. My wife is 5'4" and all her road bikes are men's small frame models. Just one thing; when you stand off the saddle feet on the ground astride the top tube, make sure that there is a decent gap between the top tube and your crotch, otherwise a sudden stop could be very eye watering - !

Top Bottom