I smell winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
First evening ride home tonight when I've been sure winter is well on its way.

Chill and crisp and properly dark at 8pm and that unmistakable smell of winter cold in the air that I mention to my friends who drive and they look at me like I'm strange. But I do, I smell winter.

Just like these guys did.

And I absolutely love riding at this time of year.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....:santa:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
It's been frosty round these parts for the last couple of mornings but foggy this morning. I can understand the op when he says (s)he can "smell" winter , I can usually tell when we are going to get a frost by the "smell" in the night air.

...that unmistakable smell of winter cold in the air that I mention to my friends who drive and they look at me like I'm strange. But I do, I smell winter.
And I absolutely love riding at this time of year.

So do I, and I'm pretty sure George Eliot would have too:

“Is not this a true autumn day? Just the still melancholy that I love - that makes life and nature harmonise. The birds are consulting about their migrations, the trees are putting on the hectic or the pallid hues of decay, and begin to strew the ground, that one's very footsteps may not disturb the repose of earth and air, while they give us a scent that is a perfect anodyne to the restless spirit. Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."

Apparently the SE corner of England had quite a good summer (or so it seemed according to the chunterings of BBC radio presenters), so that means we ALL did.
Summer arrived in the Northwest late August/early September. It hasn't been too bad since then.

Shame June/July/Early August were so rubbish though when the sun was strongest...next week or so looks pretty decent for the whole of the UK though.

I'm noticing the leaves starting to fall, soon to be swept into the cycle lanes and not be swept up by the council before turning into a slimey, slippery sludge when the inevitable Autumn storms arrive.

Bought some new full-finger gloves from Aldi the other day but not going to use them until it actually gets cold. Got my lights on the bike but don't really need them yet although it won't be too long before I'm cycling in dawn/dusk.

Standard issue yellow cycling jacket is still hung up as it has been since last winter, still way too warm for that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I wore my long bibs for the first time this year and will be using them every day for my commute. I rode half a mile between the sea and a lake in frost, the first of the year.

I have been trying out combinations of cycling clothes for the past month as it is nippy at 5.30am but it was certainly cold this morning.

Top Bottom