I smell winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
the smell of winter is bloody log burners on narrow boats and barges along the winter moorings on the regents canal. cough choke splutter on way home.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bl00dy wimps the lot of you moaning whiners!
Still summer and shorts weather here in Manchester :sun:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Bl00dy wimps the lot of you moaning whiners!
Still summer and shorts weather here in Manchester :sun:
Nope, definitely autumn but I'm with you on the shorts. (Not indoors though as my house is only warmer than The Great Outdoors when it snows, thanks to the extra insulation, or during heat waves because the universe is cruel and mean.)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Im waiting for the first real frost as I have found masses of sloe berries.
Steve, you and me need to talk. I am aching to try making some sloe gin this year and need to know what the berries look like so I know I am picking the right thing.
Google isn't really giving me a definitive image that I can use for a positive I.D so can you give me, a total horticultural numpty, an idiots guide to spotting sloe berries?

I have bottles waiting :cheers:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have never made it before either so if I am telling you total rubbish on your head be it.

Sloe berries grow on Blackthorne tree
and are best picked after the first frosts as the frost helps them to lose their bitterness. The berries are not poisionous but the thorns are if they stab you.

The berry is a purple/ black/ green colour. I am sure you will find photos on the net along with photos of blackthorne
leaves.

If there are any experts who want to put me right. Please jump in.

Last edited:

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Getting colder, heating going on, only a matter of time before the leaf mulch appears on the Railway Path here in Brizzle. Signs of autumn for me are the whiff of bonfire smoke form the local allotments.

Top Bottom