I think I need a new Printer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Old Canon Pixma MG3150 has served our 2 children and assorted flatmates through university but is now unable/unwilling :angry: to suck up the paper to print it. I've tried cleaning the rotating bits that draw the paper in - but to no avail :sad:. [all the Utoob videos seem to be for different models – and how many models do these printer companies really need to make :eek: ???]

So it looks as if a new printer has to be purchased.

Mrs S and I have basic requirements:
– very light use, purely in the home – we can go a month or more without using it
– small footprint preferred
– colour print (photos too)/ copy/ maybe scan; probably inkjet
– wifi connection (USB not essential)
– low running costs (natch ;))
– Max £90

There are so many around and none of the manufacturers appear to have good reviews so is it just a lottery and "you pays yer money ..." ?

Knowledgeable :thumbsup: guidance and advice appreciated. :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
HP instant ink might be an option. From £1.99 a month depending upon print requirements, This means ink's delivered as you need it, all by the power of i'internet.

Sharky

Guru
I've been using an HP Envy 5532. Multi function, printing, scanning, copying, wifi and can print direct from my mobile.
Takes HP301 cartridges. I did consider the "instant ink" option, but I didn't fancy a system that was based on the number of pages printed.
So I buy from "Cartridge People" and use their "refilled" cartridges, which contain more than the HP ones.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I think unless you spend a decent wedge of money, printers seem to be considered as a disposable item.
Probably putting the kiss of death on ours, but we have had good service from our Pixmas. Our main one is one of the 6 range and child 2 has one of the 3 range. The latter has been lugged around home and two colleges.
Shop around and the ink can be bought quite cheaply, using either clones or the refillable ones.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had a HP photosmart that lasted over 10 years, but it packed in this summer. Ended up with a HP office jet with 9 months free ink !

presta

Guru
Mrs S and I have basic requirements:
– very light use, purely in the home – we can go a month or more without using it
In that case, do what I do: use the printer in the library (or last time, the shop opposite the library). I refuse to be a victim of the Great Printer Ink Scam.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
T
In that case, do what I do: use the printer in the library (or last time, the shop opposite the library). I refuse to be a victim of the Great Printer Ink Scam.

Think that's what I'll do when my printer dies. I suspect most of my ink goes on head cleaning on the rare occasions that I print anything.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Slightly OT Scoosh - sorry. ^_^

Why do we have to keep buying colour inks just to keep our Canon printer printing B&W?

si_c

Guru
Until a few years ago I had an HP LaserJet 4 a solid tank of a printer that didn't go wrong and was fully serviceable. Sadly Mrs C decided it was no longer required and subsequently I haven't had a printer, I found I don't actually need one as I was only really using it print boarding passes for travel.

The only time in the last 7 years we did require a few documents printing was last year prior to travel (Passenger Locator forms and COVID declarations) but Mrs C printed those in work before we travelled. I could print in work, but I don't even know where the printer is.

Sharky

Guru
Re cartridges, ours has two, a seperate B/W one and a colour one. Once one of the colours has gone, it does mean buying a new cartridge.
I did have an Epson printer once, which had 3 seperate colour cartridges as well as the B/W cartridge.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Five years ago our printer stopped working; we decided to try living without one and instead use the services of Mailboxes Etc.

I probably cycle down there four or five times a year for copies. Total cost approx £10 per year, and one less piece of plastic cluttering up the place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom