I think i'm down to a choice between these two - finally after 24 pages.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Ok i know i've been asking for opinions for going on a year now but i think i might be there soon.
My compo has come for my RTA so i want to spend some of it on a bike. I'm not going silly and buying a 3 grand super bike that's too good for me. All i want is a carbon bike that looks good and makes me happy. Right, here are my choices.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-cube-bikes-agree-gtc-14-48021/
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5512/CUBE-AGREE-GTC-2014

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-giant-defy-1-disc-49567/
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6391/GIANT-DEFY-ADVANCED-3-2015

I've put the reviews down so you can read what the "experts" think about them. According to them the Cube's wheels are average and the Giant's brakes are average. They give good and bad points for both but the Giant gets 4 to 5 stars while the Cube gets 4. Both are good value don't you think?
Please no how about Ribble because it's near to you? suggestions as i've looked at their site and bikes that come near in spec to these two cost at least £1000 and besides that i want a "flashy" name, not that of a dirty River near here!;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Your review is the defy 1, your link the defy 3...are they the same other than the groupset?

Also, are you over 6'1 for the large Giant that Pauls have in stock

I'd probably go for the giant fwiw, just because I like the colour and don't have a roadbike with discs :smile: although none of those in stock would fit me

Buck

Guru
I really like my Cube Peloton and did look at the Agree when deciding.

Out of the two, I'd lean towards the Giant as it is 105 and also has disc brakes rather than rim which IMO I think are the way to go. Either way, assuming the fit is good for you, both will be a good bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
I really like my Cube Peloton and did look at the Agree when deciding.

Out of the two, I'd lean towards the Giant as it is 105 and also has disc brakes rather than rim which IMO I think are the way to go. Either way, assuming the fit is good for you, both will be a good bike.
The one he has linked has Tiagra, it's the defy 3

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Your review is the defy 1, your link the defy 3...are they the same other than the groupset?

Also, are you over 6'1 for the large Giant that Pauls have in stock

I'd probably go for the giant fwiw, just because I like the colour and don't have a roadbike with discs :smile: although none of those in stock would fit me

Yes i see i've linked the alloy framed Defy.:blush:
According to the hard to see size guide the large Defy is right for me at 6ft 1" and 35" inside leg. The colour's nice but i have to ask myself will it go with most of my jerseys. Maybe the more neutral Cube white would be better?:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Let down by poor build doesn't sound good

Are your jerseys red? If orange definitely do not get the red Cube ;)

They say that yet give it 4/5 stars out of 5.:rolleyes:

I have one fluoro' orange jersey. Yes orange and red is a definite no!:stop:

vickster

Legendary Member
They say that yet give it 4/5 stars.:rolleyes:

I have one fluoro' orange jersey. Yes orange and red is a definite no!:stop:
Just goes to show how fickle reviews can be (aka a load of old bull)...actually the cyclist review of the defy 3 gives it 3.5/5...as a market researcher, that's an average score ;)

They like the frame, the rest less so...but that's at RRP of £1200. At £850 may have scored better

potsy

Rambler
Why waste time giving opinions when we all know it'll be another year at least before he actually makes his mind up and puts his cash down?

Hoping now he wants to prove me wrong and finally goes for it (whatever 'it' turns out to be) ;)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just goes to show how fickle reviews can be (aka a load of old bull)...actually the cyclist review of the defy 3 gives it 3.5/5...as a market researcher, that's an average score ;)

They like the frame, the rest less so...but that's at RRP of £1200. At £850 may have scored better

Good point. So it might be not worth the money at £1200 but a bargain at £899 would you say?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Why waste time giving opinions when we all know it'll be another year at least before he actually makes his mind up and puts his cash down?

Hoping now he wants to prove me wrong and finally goes for it (whatever 'it' turns out to be) ;)

I'm going for it!:okay: I e-mailed Paulscycles the other day and asked them to save me a Cube in size 60cm, They replied saying they didn't reserve bikes but there were quite a few still in stock. So when my new bank account card comes through next week i'll be ordering one or the other. If they still have my size that is.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good point. So it might be not worth the money at £1200 but a bargain at £899 would you say?
Go ride one and decide for yourself

I'd have a Genesis equilibrium 10 if wanting a blue bike with tiagra and discs ;) but not made of plastic

Top Bottom