I think I've done something really stupid...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mondobongo

Über Member
Take my hat off to you Joe doing that ride via public transport and camping out as well, well impressed and a good write up to.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers Mondo:tongue:
If there were a way of carrying a road bike and camping gear on a tourer I'd probably build one up and do more non local events. A heavy rucksack on the road bike is REALLY uncomfortable though and not something I want to do over any sort of distance again.
Results don't seem to be available yet.

llanberispass

Looking back at my comments and those of others felt i was perhaps a bit harsh about food. Trouble is I cannot tolerate bananas (tho i had to try one in the end and gave me gut ache) and cannot eat meusli bars (or teeth disintegrate). If i was a horse they would put me down! The joys of getting to 54!

Funny how no-one at work is interested. I dont bother mentioning it any more. Does anyone else have same response?

Looking at photos i felt i was in a different event starting at 8. I had no idea so many were on road ahead. Eventually started rolling up other mega riders at Bala - before that all i saw was mini-megas (apart from 2 others i passed). Strange feeling being last on the road of the megas. I actually was past cut off at Denbigh (despite coming with silver for age group!!). Perhaps they should look at those for next year.

Of those here who rode the mega how much did it help having others around - or were the gaps so large you never saw anyone else?

Roll on next year!

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
I left close to 7am and whilst I wasn't really "in a group" there were a lot of riders around, which probably helped. But after the first feedstop I was either alone, or with one or two riders in view, for the most of the ride. With the exception of an hour or so from the second feedstop when I tagged along with a small group.
I think that over that distance, terrain, and with so many feedstops people must have got pretty spread out.
Roll on next year indeed!

Top Bottom