I think I've done something really stupid...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hear Mr Lloyd doesn't like me calling him a Tosser.

I'll take it all back if he comes on here and tells me his justification for 'tossing' a punctured Tufo tub in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales during last year's White Rose Classic.

ASC1951

Guru
Quite right - it's like fell runners lobbing gels all over the place. At least cyclist have got pockets, and if people haven't got the strength to take their debris as far as the next bin they shouldn't be doing the event.

Trouble is, if you shout "Oi! Tosser!" most of them don't even know what you're complaining about. They don't want it any more so the road fairy will take it away.

yello

Best of luck Joe, it's a challenge all right! Any ride that includes Bwlch-y-Groes is going to be a test but you'll be right if you get some miles in your legs. It can be done so you can do it. I wish you all the best.

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Well it's almost here and my preperations have not been great! My mileage has really dropped off in the last month due to a number of bike/body issues:sad:
Still, I'm sure it will be a "great" day!
I'm not looking forward to getting myself and my gear there on public transport. It's looking like a 20 mile ride from the train station to the start which I could really do without:sad:
I've promised myself a new bike if I finish, so I'm banking on that to get me around;)
There are still places so do come and suffer with me!;)
Good luck Steve!

ash68

just wishing you good luck for the ride Joe.Hope you enjoy it and get round safe and sound,am sure you will.I've done a few sportives this year but this one didn't fit into my plans for this year. Let me know how you get on and what you think of the course. Could be a possible ride for me next year. cheers. ash

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers Ash, expect a full report sometime this week.
I'm off today...for the mega challenge of getting there with all my gear on public transport!

thejonesy

Did the minimega today, and I have to take my hat off to anyone who got to Denbigh having to go over to Cerrig then Bala and the ride back, we had only 7 miles left and were fkd@*&! the sleet and torrential rain over the top of Moel Y Crio and Moel Arthur didn't help!!

Joe I hope you made it ok?

Apparently the first rider came in off the mega at about 7:15, ridiculous, the target time for a good ride was 8:30 I think!!!

llanberispass

Hi

I think you are misinformed - the best time was 8h 12m - just inside the gold standard (8.15) for 18-30 year olds. An amazing performance considering the state of the roads in the first half. Quite dangerous at speed (as 2 riders found out unfortunately).

I completed the full 140 just inside silver for my age category (10:44:11) - 49 seconds to spare!!. As I sit here now not too tired i wish i had hammered it more up the climbs but I wanted to make sure I got round without hitting the wall. Still always next year.

Impressions:

Great base at Ruthin School, bags of car parking (not sure why they asked people to share lifts).

Great locations for feed stops, just came at the right time!

Cut out Horseshoe Pass , a nasty road. I was faced by a kit car (on the wrong side of the road) racing a motorbike on the way down.

Guess this would mean missing out World's End sadly.

Although logistically difficult add more on the Denbigh Bala side as roads much quieter, almost like going back in time on the Denbigh Bala stretch.

Was it really 17000 feet of climbing?

It was 137 miles not 140 (several people got that)

Please please please please have gels at all feed stations as advertised. Surely the pros do..............

Improve signing (cf Pain in the Pennines). Several people missed the sign for the feed station in Bala (and hence missed the feed!)

Still for all that (and the tropical downpour at lunchtime) a fabulous day out.

Last but not least many many thanks to my long suffering wife for putting up with my training obsession since Christmas (just don't tell her about next year).

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Cheers all. Congrats to everyone who completed it. I made it just fine in the end :tongue:

The travel and camping was a bit of a challenge but the ride itself wasn't as brutal as I was expecting. I did the full route in 10:06 which is roughly what I was aiming for though unfortunately I was 6 minutes outside of
bronze for my age:sad:

The route was ace, if a little dangerous. Saw one guy go down on a cattle grid on the first climb, and a couple of bloody legs throughout the day. Relentless hills are just how I like it. The descents were absoultely terrifying though (the weather, my vertigo and the fact I'm running an 80mm stem didn't help!). Wet, gravelly, and full of sheep.
I really concentrated on pacing myself and resisting the urge to attack the hills too hard. Possibly too much! Barring a couple of hours around the 2nd and 3rd feedstop when I was really suffering (close to bonking - though I didn't realise it until I got some food down me) I felt pretty good.

I loved the first couple of climbs, and that one that goes on forever parallel to the valley floor was immense, as was the rollercoaster descent down the other side. Gorgeous senery all round and the massive changes in weather made it feel even more epic.

It turned into a mini solo cycle tour for me. A painful one, as you can imagine, being on a road bike with camping and cycling gear in a rucksackxx(
I did 20 miles to get the Ruthin on Saturday, 16 miles to a campsite on Sunday (after the mega challenge) and then 25 miles on monday morning to get back to the train station. My back is not impressed. In a bid to travel light I bought a tiny single skinned tent which innevitibly leaked, and not enough clothes so I was freezing both nights:blush: Oh well, it's all character building!

Organisation was up there with the best. The only problems I had were that I had trouble telling the direction of the arrows until I got quite close to the signs. Maybe I should get my eyes tested? I would have liked a vegetarian pasta option at that second feedstop too but all in all it was fantastic. Nice to get a t shirt at the end:biggrin:

I've never spent 10 hours in the saddle and I was suprised at how well it went. Didn't feel much longer than a 6 hour solo ride and my new Assos shorts were well worth the dosh!
I definitely think that, knowing the route now, with a bit more training (and the new bike I'm soon to get!), and some dryer weather, I could do a lot better.
I'll most probably be in for it again next year, and so should you;)

OP
OP
J

Joe

Über Member
Yeh it was pretty epic. Shame it's over really, need something new to train for!?:tongue:
My teeth still hurt - ten hours of energy bars, drinks, gels etc can't be good for them.:sad:
Anyone else been checking out the photos which are slowly being uploaded? Some good uns in there! Wondering when cyclosport tv will get their footage up too?

Top Bottom