I think my compression plug is stuck in my steerer tube.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukatriathlon

Ive been trying to get my compression plug out of my steerer tube.I unscrewed the first bolt and removed the cap as usual.Below that theres a size 8 allen key.I thought i should turn it anticlockwise to loosen it,so i did.I turned it and it felt loosened,but the compression plug wont move a bit.If i turn it more it seems to just tighten again.Does someone know whats going on?
image.jpg

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Isn't that a star nut? I don't think those are supposed to come out are they?

Big John

Guru
I'll be honest I've no idea what we're looking at there. It's not like any star nut I've seen. And if that's a steerer should we see the legs of the forks somewhere in the picture?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You may have loosened the plug, but due to an absence of carbon paste or grease it might be 'glued' on to the inside of the steerer tube. Also some plugs have a rubber band type arrangement to keep the compression plug together, this can also glue itself. Is it truly tightening again, as I cannot see how that happens, it should just loosen up enough to fall out, or at least enough so you can prod it out.

PapaZita

Guru
I’ve had ones where the 8mm hex key draws up a tapered wedge that continues to grip the inside of the steerer even when the screw is loosened. A gentle tap in the right place should separate the wedge. It’s very much like an old quill stem, where you had to tap the loosened expander bolt from the top to push the wedge nut down.

Top Bottom