I think my disc brakes may be rubbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Destry

There shouldn't be any noise -- as you say, it is annoying.

Assuming these are Avid mechanicals, then I suggest re-setting them up -- you can get instructions from the Avid web site. Basically, you (1) slacken the bolts that mount the caliper housing to the frame/fork, (2) use the red wheels on the caliper housing to get the calipers to clamp the rotor tight (set the rotor one-third on the wheel side, two-thirds on the outer side), (3) tighten the mounting bolts, and (4) slacken off the red wheels until the wheel runs free and silent. It is a clever system and easy to do.

If you can't get it to run free without putting too much play in the calipers, then you have a bent rotor.

But are these brakes Avids?

Tom

robbarker

Destry said:
If you can't get it to run free without putting too much play in the calipers, then you have a bent rotor.

Tom

Not necessarily, it's best to get the mounts faced before playing with disc truers - that often sorts the problem out. You need to make sure everything else is spot on before you can true a warped disc effectively anyway.

byegad

Legendary Member
I think you're right Willow. It's back to the shop for this one. At three weeks old unless you've reallly overheated the disc, which you would smell (and possibly the disc has blued too?) it could be a faulty disc, apparently they're not THAT uncommon.

OP
OP
W

Willow

All adjusted and fine, ironically by the time I'd got the flippin bike out the car the rear brake was fine and it was the front one rubbing. Any way he did a bit of wire tweaking and a bit of disc wiggling and all seems well. Whilst there took the opportunity of getting rack put on for panniers so saved me doing it. not very cool but best way for me to carry stuff to work I think.

Top Bottom