I think this deserves a new thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gouldina

Despite the old one. Some sensible sentencing for once:

A driver who used his car as a weapon to murder a cyclist after he accidentally clipped his wing mirror has been jailed for life.

Sean Fitzgerald chased his victim for 300 yards before mounting the pavement and ramming him off his mountain bike.

He fled the scene leaving warehouse worker Paul Webb for dead. While on remand before his trial Fitzgerald rang his wife to say he was only 'sorry about his car'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...urdered-cyclist-car-clipping-wing-mirror.html

buggi

Bird Saviour
At last. some justice. RIP Paul Webb

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
No doubt about the new thread.
This mans actions where disgusting and i'm pleased to see that finally a sentence that matches the crime.
RIP Mr Webb

Crankarm

Guru
On the scale of sentences that are handed down to motons who kill cyclists this is a hammer blow of a sentence. Well done Judge Richard Griffiths-Jones! Cyclists should be relieved that a court has finally seen sense in sentencing a dangerous, selfish and arrogant killer driver to a lengthy term of imprisonment. However, 13 years for killing some one, in such a predatory manner is too lenient. He should have received a minimum of 20-25 years. But at least he has been given a life sentence of which he must serve 13 years before he is eligible for parole. He might not be released after 13 years, but there is a possibility he might if he has behaved himself and shown remorse which he has yet to do. Still a sickening crime. A genuine psychopath.

How can some one be allowed to drive a car for a period of many years who has never had a license, insurance or bought road tax? This system is clearly failing.

And only one depressing comment on the case from the DM readership,

The driver got his just deserts and had no right being on the road.
I do think it is time that cyclists paid road insurance and took a test as they are a menace on the roads at times and seem to think that they are exempt from the rules of the road.
- r4, sitts, kent, 7/5/2010 16:53

How can people be so insensitive and thick?

RIP Mr Paul Webb. The sentence must be of small comfort to Mr Webb's family and his partner Nadia Wazea. My sympathies and condolences to them.

Let this case be a warning to all motons who inadvertantly or deliberately close pass us or who lose it altogether and try to knock us off or run us down. You will hopefully go to prison for a long time.

Too much of that road rage crap out there....I have had motons intimidate me with their cars as well and it isn't nice.....So sorry Paul Webb that you had to meet a complete moron scumbag.

R.I.P

Wobblers

Euthermic
Crankarm said:
On the scale of sentences that are handed down to motons who kill cyclists this is a hammer blow of a sentence. Well done Judge Richard Griffiths-Jones! Cyclists should be relieved that a court has finally seen sense in sentencing a dangerous, selfish and arrogant killer driver to a lengthy term of imprisonment. However, 13 years for killing some one, in such a predatory manner is too lenient. He should have received a minimum of 20-25 years. But at least he has been given a life sentence of which he must serve 13 years before he is eligible for parole. He might not be released after 13 years, but there is a possibility he might if he has behaved himself and shown remorse which he has yet to do. Still a sickening crime. A genuine psychopath.

RIP Mr Paul Webb. The sentence must be of small comfort to Mr Webb's family and his partner Nadia Wazea. My sympathies and condolences to them.

Let this case be a warning to all motons who inadvertantly or deliberately close pass us or who lose it altogether and try to knock us off or run us down. You will hopefully go to prison for a long time.

Yeah, but the sentence was so long because he was charged with murder. Had there been no witnesses, the charge would have probably been causing death by dangerous driving and possibly attempting to pervert the course of justice by trying to wash and remove the evidence off his car - if he had been caught at all!

Ironically the charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice would most likely be seen as the more serious one, and get the stiffer penalty.

I don't think this does send much of a message - apart from make sure there isn't anyone around to see you do it, I suppose. What would send a message would for all road users who kill and up with lengthy custodial sentences rather than a £500 fine and a few points on the licence (which seems to be the going rate for a human life on the roads).

R.I.P.

OP
OP
G

gouldina

McWobble said:
Yeah, but the sentence was so long because he was charged with murder. Had there been no witnesses, the charge would have probably been causing death by dangerous driving and possibly attempting to pervert the course of justice by trying to wash and remove the evidence off his car - if he had been caught at all!

Ironically the charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice would most likely be seen as the more serious one, and get the stiffer penalty.

I don't think this does send much of a message - apart from make sure there isn't anyone around to see you do it, I suppose. What would send a message would for all road users who kill and up with lengthy custodial sentences rather than a £500 fine and a few points on the licence (which seems to be the going rate for a human life on the roads).

R.I.P.

Yeah. After initially being pleased with a long sentence, I got to this sort of thinking myself. I can't imagine that if you accidentally kill someone under any other circumstance than being a driver you'd get such lenient sentences.

Top Bottom