I thought cycling was supposed to save cash !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
C2W seems desperately unfair in that if you pay no tax there is no saving and if you're a higher rate tax payer you save more than those on the lower rate.

Maybe they should knock the VAT off for those not paying income tax.
That's a good point and really should be addressed to make it affordable for all.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Set the money aside that you were using to pay for the car loan and put it into the bike finance..

You won't miss it and if you're anything like me it would get frittered away otherwise.

I bought new windows for the house, retiled the kitchen, bought my Gtech bike all one after the other using same monthly payment.

Ended up buying another car after that but there's always something to show for it!.

I'm quite used to being "skint" now so no worries!.
That will be used to clear the overdraft, And work announced further line slow down and probable redundancies .

Last edited:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
C2W seems desperately unfair in that if you pay no tax there is no saving and if you're a higher rate tax payer you save more than those on the lower rate.

Maybe they should knock the VAT off for those not paying income tax.

If your company is VAT registered they will more than likely claim the VAT back, but will they pass that saving on to employees? :whistle: My employer doesnt pass the VAT saving on, & then they charge VAT on the final purchase payment :sad:

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
C2W is not unfair. I pay loads of tax, so surely I should get to claim some of that back? If I've to accept paying so much in tax is fair, surely it's fair to get more back in a tax break?

screenman

Legendary Member
If your company is VAT registered they will more than likely claim the VAT back, but will they pass that saving on to employees? :whistle: My employer doesnt pass the VAT saving on, & then they charge VAT on the final purchase payment :sad:

Can you please simplify that.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Can you please simplify that.
If you buy a bike for £1k there will be £167 VAT in that, which the company can claim back if they are VAT registered. With our scheme you still pay the full amount divided by the number of monthly payments & then because no VAT has been paid, when it comes to the final payment to buy the bike from your employer for £x + VAT

screenman

Legendary Member
If you buy a bike for £1k there will be £167 VAT in that, which the company can claim back if they are VAT registered. With our scheme you still pay the full amount divided by the number of monthly payments & then because no VAT has been paid, when it comes to the final payment to buy the bike from your employer for £x + VAT

Have you looked up the changes that came in 2012.

That is not correct. They can reclaim the VAT but then have to repay 1/12 for a year as the deduct the payment from you so it is cash neutral.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Keep a log of all your cycling expenditure. I keep such a log. Everything cycling related (but not food) goes in there including

New bikes (well of course)
Train travel costs when not commuting by bike
Bike clothes and accessories
Servicing and parts

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ahead of the game then.
You could say that .....
cyclechat meet.jpg