I thought I was moderately fit...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought wrong!

Went for a bike ride earlier and I can't believe how out of shape I am. I did my 4 mile circuit in 20 mins. Now I know mountain bikes are all but 4 miles and I thought my legs were gonna fall off. I look around this forum and people talking about 50 & 100 mile bike rides like it's a stroll in the park and there's me struggling with 4 bleeding miles! It's enough to put you off.

How long before improvements kick in? How long before I feel like a proper cyclist rather than a pretender?

I'm not giving up cos I actually enjoy it (despite the pain), I'm just feeling a bit deflated that I can't manage 4 miles with pain.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
I started 3 months ago and just did a 55 miles charity ride just take your time and build it up a little at a time

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
good to hear you arnt giving up mate...you are already a proper cyclist because you are cycling....just keep at it...there are many peeps on here who were where you are....i remember struggling around the local park a few years ago lol!

I remember going 4 miles and having to take a break before I set of back home when I first started (not that long ago!). I was also nervous about being so far from home and having to walk back. I guess that within two or three months this gradually crept up to the ten/fifteen mile mark (without a break and not killing me!!!). You'll soon be there. Good luck

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
build it up and enjoy it.

10 miles on a mtb is different to 10 miles on a roadie.
+1
When i dig out my winter hack for my commute i know about it , a lot harder to get up to speed and keep it there whereas my road bike commuter can maintain the same speed in a lower gear with less effort .

endoman

My first ride was a struggle to do 5 miles, steady progress lead to a 100 miler 3 1/2 months later, then a year later Etape du Tour at 4 stones lighter as well. Little and often to start with, no big jumps in distance, I found having little goals, like be able to ride to work ( 15 miles) ride to work and back in a day, do first 50 miler, first metric century etc. helped a huge amount.

:welcome:
Just keep at it, I was much like that in June, my first ride was 8.53 miles and it took me 55 mins so you actual did better, than me, though I don't know hills you climb ect.. mine was compared with what I just did to day quite steep, 47 ft climb per mile it was 400ft of climbing, today I did 880 ft twice as much but over 3 times the distance, which meant i only climbed 28 ft per mile,
It took me 6-7 wks to really start to notice a difference, I covered 32 miles today in 2hrs 12 mins, not quick compared to some (just over 14mph, I have been quicker over similar terrain and distance), but it's only been the last 3-4 wks that for the most part I really dont notice the miles and my climbing ability improving to the point where I dont think "oh no not another hill", but on the other hand I do put the hrs in total so far since June 23rd, 121 hrs. or an avg of about 81/2 hrs a wk. or a decent ride 4 days out of 7. Out of the 62 days I have ridden only 12 have been less the 20 miles.
The first month f did it hurt, but you will get there you just have to keep at it, it really does get easier.

Reactions: 4F
TBH I'm feeling a bit better now. It's just that feeling of getting of the bike to realise many legs don't work anymore made me think is never improve.

I have to say it seems a bloody hard sport to get into. Not just the fitness but the jargon. It's like another language. I might need to but a cycling dictionary! And there's so much stuff you could/should get it's like a minefield!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Keep with it. The first time I cycled to work it took me 1 hours and 25 minutes and I had to stop twice. 15 years later and today I did it in my best ever time of 42 minutes.

Set small goals 5 miles, then 10 stick with it and build it up slowly and before you know it you will be surprised what you can do.

100 mile rides are never a walk in the park but can be achieved and a long term target to aim for.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
TBH I'm feeling a bit better now. It's just that feeling of getting of the bike to realise many legs don't work anymore made me think is never improve.

I have to say it seems a bloody hard sport to get into. Not just the fitness but the jargon. It's like another language. I might need to but a cycling dictionary! And there's so much stuff you could/should get it's like a minefield!

forget all the 'shoulds' for now....just get on a bike and keep riding it...gradually you will realize yourself what you need and dont need. when you get cold buy gloves...simples

Well done!

4 miles will lead to 40 in no time. I started like you on a Mountain Bike about 5 weeks ago and did 8 miles in 57 mins. Almost puked too :smile:

I went on a 30 mile ride on Tuesday with Billinger and we did it in 2hrs. Big improvement that came in a few weeks.

Stick to it and don't put yourself down. Set achievable and short term goals. You'll crack it.

Next ride out try to shave 30 seconds off your time over the same distance.

Top Bottom