I thought i was seeing things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
...when i saw a cyclist(about 30 minutes ago) dressed in a short sleeve jersey, shorts, sandals and no socks..in the snow!!:ohmy: He didn't have gloves, eye protection or a helmet either! The other morning i saw a jogger wearing a vest and those flimsy running shorts, even though it was below freezing.
Both these people weren't particularly on the large side, in fact the cyclist was a "beanpole".

Do some people get very warm by doing moderate exercise i wonder? Or are they simple?:scratch:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
........ or a helmet either :rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Slippery conditions under wheel meant I've been for a walk today instead of a ride.

Saw a couple of proper runners dressed only in a single layer, top and long pants.

Presumably, it was that clever wicking stuff - dunno if that makes a difference.

Sandra6

Veteran
Sandals??? That's odd on a bike in any weather isn't it?
We've had a couple of customers come in wearing short sleeves and short shorts this week. I was cold just looking at them.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
On thursday morning it was -8 and there was some doughnut walking to lectures up Trumpington street dressed in shorts and short sleeves.
I also saw a stick thin fella in shorts and sandals riding this week, it was around -2. It'll be the pains in the joints they'll enjoy most eventually.
Me? I was proper layered up. I have nothing to prove!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I went for a run yesterday evening in shorts, but with thermal baselayer under my tshirt, it was meant to be -3C but I was still sweating, I am rather on the 'large side' though as you put it :smile:

My toes were freezing today though cycling at a rather moderate pace

My wife runs in shorts and sleeveless or short-sleeved top ALL year round.
When its really cold she'll add arm-warmers and gloves, otherwise she's real hard-core (behave yourself Phnaar).

She'll often have a go at me for the layers/protection I wear but as I tell her, she'll not get up to 25mph and all her extremities are on the move keeping warm, not just her legs.
In my defene, I also cycle commute ALL year round and ALL weather

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I might try something. Why dont I go out tomorrow in my summer kit and see what everyone does? I will wrap up my feet and hands though (and take an extra pair of socks) just to keep the extremes warm.
I hope noone calls the police though. (I dont go cycling naked, I just mean that people might get so freaked out that they have to call them (or an ambulance)).

Idoru

I was running in full layers yesterday, compression shorts, ronhill longs over those, thermal long sleeve top with a windproof jacket over that, a buff, beannie hat and gloves :smile:

Once I'd warmed up for a mile or so the gloves and beannie came off. Felt great to be running with snow falling around me.

On the bike it's cycling shorts, thermal top and wind proof jacket, gloves and beannie hat under the helmet... really need to get some bib tights though or cycle fast enough for air friction to warm me up :smile: I tried riding in ronhills over the cycling shorts but the chain ate them :sad:

sabian92

Über Member
I saw a guy coming down a long descent where I live the other day on a mountain bike, road covered in snow/ice probably doing 25mph in baggies, a jersey and trainers.

It was -4 without the windchill.. God knows how he didn't get hypothermia (seriously), or fall off.

Top Bottom