I used to have one of these...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

02GF74 said:
Computers? Calculators?? Pah, you don't know you were even born.

I had to cope with one of these:
!Bj7Tr5QBmk~$(KGrHqIH-DoEs823W9L+BLVdo66)NQ~~_12.JPG

I still have my school slide rule!

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
wafflycat said:
I still have my school slide rule!

I actually never figured out what they were for. Except for working out sines and cosines. Or was it logarithms? Either way, I didn't understand. The only thing it was REALLY useful for was holding it up and then jerking it down quickly (steady on matron) so that the middle bit shot out and hit someone. :blush:

Fnaar said:
I actually never figured out what they were for. Except for working out sines and cosines. Or was it logarithms? Either way, I didn't understand. The only thing it was REALLY useful for was holding it up and then jerking it down quickly (steady on matron) so that the middle bit shot out and hit someone. :blush:

Used mine mostly for multiplying and dividing. I was just heading into 6th form when calculators came into being.

Reading your post, the word 'mantissa' has just leapt into my mind for the first time in about 35 years, which I think had something to do with the floating point in logs(?)

tyred

Legendary Member
Greedo said:
loved this when I got one. Thought it was amazing when I got it. Nothing PC wise has come close to sitting listening to the buzzing noise and coloured screen when a game was loading

173d1239099715-how-technology-has-moved-on-sinclair_zx_spectrum.jpg

I had (still have actually) the later one with the built in tape deck:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
beanzontoast said:
Reading your post, the word 'mantissa' has just leapt into my mind for the first time in about 35 years, which I think had something to do with the floating point in logs(?)

Floating logs? oo'er. Never heard of mantissa before, but here it is on wiki. I got as far as the word 'describe', and after that it might as well be written in Sanskrit :blush:

I also had one of these:
spacehopper.jpg

NickM

Veteran
Hah! This talk of old computers is all dribble. When I left school I worked as an operator on a Ferranti Orion mainframe. Such an antique that I can't find a picture of it on the Interweb :blush:

It had valves in it, and occupied a whole room. It had a tiny fraction of the computing power of the HP Ipaq I have in my pocket.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Fnaar said:
Floating logs? oo'er. Never heard of mantissa before, but here it is on wiki. I got as far as the word 'describe', and after that it might as well be written in Sanskrit :blush:

I think that for a logarithm of 1.9834, the mantissa would be 0.9834, but that could be a load of cobblers!

tyred

Legendary Member
NickM said:
It had valves in it, and occupied a whole room. It had a tiny fraction of the computing power of the HP Ipaq I have in my pocket.

Yeah but the Ipaq has no character:tongue:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
NickM said:
Hah! This talk of old computers is all dribble. When I left school I worked as an operator on a Ferranti Orion mainframe. Such an antique that I can't find a picture of it on the Interweb :blush:

You can get a brochure here... http://ferranti-orion.co.uk/

NickM

Veteran
Uncle Mort said:
But whatever has happened to computer operators? I presume that with modern desktop computers which don't have tape drives that the job has died out, like firemen on trains.
I'm extinct! :blush:

I knew there was something amiss...

Matchbox 'Cascade'

cascade1.jpg

My parents were right, it was a pointless toy whicn you couldn't so anything with other than watch the steel balls go from one end to the other, but I must've had an auger fetish at age five as I used to like watching the balls get lifted up the tower. As I recall, the batteries used to go flat in about five minutes and my parents would never buy any more, miseries!

02GF74

Über Member
NickM said:
Oooh - I can buy a new one? Will they take my Ipaq as trade-in? :blush:

not sure they make them anymore.

from memory, out there on the web are instructions and circuit diagrams to make a cpy from logic gates :laugh:

Top Bottom