I want a big challenge!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heather

In my previous life (i.e. for several years until this year) I was an ultra marathon runner. I am cycling now as I am waiting for surgery on my plantar fascia but it doesnt affect the bike.

I've been doing 100 mile or a bit longer sportive events every weekend, but I want more challenges, kinda like, ultra cycling!!

I can see there are some long AUDAX events- I'm a little scared of the navigation in them, but they might be the only things?

I'm doing LEJOG in October, but I'd like something I can get my teeth into. Anyone know anything? I'd rather do something that 'went somewhere' than a 24 hour event........

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
How about the Trans Wales MTB Event?

GORE BIKE WEAR™ TransWales ’2011 (powered by Mercedes-Benz Vito Sport) The 7 day MTB stage challenge 13th – 20th August 2011.

After weeks of putting our plans for the 2011 season together we have now the details for the 2011 TransUK event – the GORE BIKE WEAR™ TransWales (powered by Mercedes-Benz Vito Sport) – and it’s up on our website: www.mtbtransuk.co.uk.

The GORE BIKE WEAR™ TransWales is a mixture of linking stages (un-timed) and special stages (timed) and can be tackled in either pairs or as solo riders. The available categories are Open Pairs (18-39yrs), Vets Pairs (40yrs +), Mixed Pairs, Open Solo (18-39yrs) and Vets Solo (40yrs +). Not just endurance but also tactics, the right equipment and an ability to pace yourself will be key to enjoying as well as to winning this event.

We will carry on with running of specific hill climbing, descending and general trail riding stages – so that we can really find out who the best all-rounders are. We will keep the excitement up to the very last minute by running the final special stage on the last Saturday.

Launched last summer we are now adding the Mini GORE BIKE WEAR™ TransWales to the line-up from the very beginning – So if you can’t find the time for a full 7 day stage event or are watching the pennies the three or four day version of the only UK mountain bike stage event might be just the ticket.

The MINI TransWales can be ridden over two durations. You can either join the event from the 13th to the 16th August or from the 17th to the 20th August.

OP
OP
H

Heather

Thanks, but I should have added it absolutely definitely has to be road. I hate MTBing!!!!!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Beware: with a female name and a 'I want a big' in your title you might get some weird offers.

Paris-Brest-Paris is quite a challenge. I get tired just reading about it.

zigzag

Veteran
if you are aiming very high, probably the toughest bike races are race across america and race across europe. they are both complex and costly and are more of a lifetime challenge. there are audax events which are simple and cheap and can be challenging if you push yourself. there will be london-edinburgh-london ride in 2013, there is a long thread on this board. navigation is not a problem these days and can be aided by bike-friendly gps devices. maybe you want to try out bike racing? if you were good at endurance running, you can probably be a successful bike racer or triathlete/iron(wo)man? there are plenty of challenges around, just be ready for them!

oliglynn

Über Member
Mark Beaumont cycled over 13000 miles from Alaska to the tip of Argentina the other year, and as that wasn't enough for him he also took on climbing the highest mountains in both North and South America near the beginning and end of his journey.

Would that be tough enough for ya?
whistling.gif

Moodyman

Legendary Member
He also held The "around the world" record for a while IIRC

Indeed he did.

Cycling organisations were very loud about his achievements, until he said that he wasn't a cyclist nor an ambassador for cycling. He just used a bike to complete his challenge.

He got no more more coverage in cycling circles.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Indeed he did.

Cycling organisations very loud about his achievements, until he said that he wasn't a cyclist nor an ambassador for cycling. He just used a bike to complete his challenge.

He got no more more coverage in cycling circles.

That is a shame. He beat the previous record presumably set by a cyclist. I clearly rides a bike a lot so why not class him as a cyclist?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
In my previous life (i.e. for several years until this year) I was an ultra marathon runner. I am cycling now as I am waiting for surgery on my plantar fascia but it doesnt affect the bike.

I've been doing 100 mile or a bit longer sportive events every weekend, but I want more challenges, kinda like, ultra cycling!!

I can see there are some long AUDAX events- I'm a little scared of the navigation in them, but they might be the only things?

I'm doing LEJOG in October, but I'd like something I can get my teeth into. Anyone know anything? I'd rather do something that 'went somewhere' than a 24 hour event........

Have a go at a shorter Audax to get a feel for it (most of the long rides are in midsummer so generally 300 or less ones now) . The navigation isnt really an issue. The route card gives you a turn by turn set of directions. I normally plot the route on a photocopied bit of road atlas as well but rarely need to look at it.

Link to AUK callendar

You dont need to join Audax UK to ride just send off a cheque some SAEs and the completed entry form downloadable from the site. Some rides allow entry online by paypal

Good Luck on the LE Jog

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

Audax rides will be a good challenge for you ! If you are
a little scared of the navigation in them
... there's your challenge !
biggrin.gif

Not all challenges are physical, as you will already know - so you will be able to improve your skill-set for future events in any discipline ... or something
thumbsup.png

It's much easier to walk/ run/ ride a signed route. Doing your own navigation adds spice to it
icon_smile_approve.gif
and to the sense of achievement at the end
bravo.gif

Top Bottom