I want a huger stem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
BigonaBianchi

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Would it not be best to go get a bike fit - you say you don't need a bigger bike - but then you say you are cramped - fitting a longer stem may not fix basic prob

fair point....I'm 6'4" with long arms...I also ride a bianchi 61cm frame fitted with a 130cm stem which is absolutly fine in terms of reach etc....in this old shot its a 120cm but you see the long arms! The cube is a 64cm frame....I have the saddle position set first so im right where i need to be over the BB & pedals....it's ok when im on the hoods...but when i sit on th etop tube to tuck against the wind its really cramped on th ecube but not on th ebianchi....so yes 1cm does mack a difference. Both bikes saddle height form the ground is the same. I could move the cubes saddle back a touch, but th ebike feels 'heavier' like that as my weight is dragging (and its 100 kilos of weight lol!) so I want to keep the saddle where it is and add the 130cm stem (may even try a 140cm) . Both frame sizes fit....I just need the longer stems for a less cramped reach without moving the saddle back.

I'm 6'4" with long arms....
IMAG4972.jpg

Reactions: gbb

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Would it not be best to go get a bike fit - you say you don't need a bigger bike - but then you say you are cramped - fitting a longer stem may not fix basic prob
I think he is saying that he would struggle to find a bigger bike!

I think a 13 or 14 cm stem would be pretty normal on a 64 cm bike. The current 12 cm is about the minimum length - that that is what I use on my 58 cm bikes and I am not as tall as BoaB. Chain Reaction Cycles have a choice of 7 or 8 different 14 cm stems with double-bolted front plates. (If cramped using 12 cm, I reckon 14 cm would make more sense since 1 cm increase to 12 cm would be a fairly small change.)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have similar issues on my 2 road bikes, only on a smaller scale! They are both 58 cm bikes and both have 12 cm stems but my position on them feels very different. It might be due to different frame angles, and/or different saddles (it is hard to compare bar to saddle measurements when one is a long Fizik Arione and the other a shorter Specialized).

120mm isnt doing any more...so im going for huge ...130mm or poss 140mm stem ....but which one??

It's going to get fitted to a Cube race agree 2014 carbon frame bike...needs to have just black & white (no red etc)
alloy/carbon..i dunno..but ive got alloy bars so i guess alloy is cool, light responsive etc...im not convinced that a single bolt fix is a good plan....if that one bolt goes i'm toast....so I think two bolts will help me sleep better...
must be flippable, if thats even a word.
Theres so much out there Im just after a few yays/nays....

Any links much apreciated. :smile: :smile:

Hi BoaB. As leyton condor says :- The longer the stem the less responsive the steering will be BUT you would probably have to be seriously overweight and permanently riding out of the saddle and hanging over the front axle to be able to detect it.
The expression for a stem that will turn-over is Flip-Flop most will do that and the genuine Flip-Flop stems will have the logo so that it is readable either way up.
I believe that deep in my box of bike goodies I have both a Pro-Lite 130mm 7* & an FSA XC 170 135mm 6* stem BUT they are Satin Black and four bolt fixings for the removable front plates. The FSA has a Silver front plate.
I can however supply Humbrol Enamels in a range of colours to be able to create a Bespoke and Totally Unique colour scheme.

Top Bottom