I want an Electric Bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vanmoofy

Regular
But i dont know which bike to get and everything else... all your recommendations would be good. What I want is:

1) where i can manually change the gears myself, not the gears changing for me (my friend has a vanmoof and i dont like the way the gears change down or up, sometimes jolts and causes me wrist sprain)

2) Im looking for an electric bike which has heavy/good grip tyres (it will be 99% road bike)

3) boost feature

4) long range

5) electric bikes for people over 6'3 & 114kg in weight

price less than £3,000 id say

many thanks

I would say that your best bet is to find your local bike shops and go and look at which ebikes they sell. I find a lot of them a happy to let you have a short test ride.
The advantage of getting it from a LBS is that you will getting better access to advise - although remember that they may be biased towards the brands that they sell. They can also give you far better service than you would get if you buy something on-line.

Before anyone recommends actual makes and/or models you will have to say where you live as the rules for where you can use an ebike are vastly different in different countries.

Anyway - go out and have a look - and maybe some test rides - enjoy yourself!

CXRAndy

Guru
Deciding on an ebike is just a series of steps

Bike type, racer, hybrid or MTB.

Crank drive or hub drive

Off the shelf or kit to retrofit

Battery upgradable.

Cost.

Drago

Legendary Member
Whats a boost feature? Whatever you do, the legal max is 250W up to 15.5mph, and that isn't much of a boost for anyone, let alone a hefty lump.

Range is entirely down to how you use it. Naturally, a higher battery capacity will take you further, but the biggest difference is wider weight (and you can't realistically change that) and how much, if any, juice youre using at a given moment. A fit rider will spend much of their time riding well in excess of 15.5 mph and won't be using any power for much of their riding, which makes any notional range an irrelevance.

You're a short arriss lightweight compared to me, so shouldn't have any problems.

Decide exactly what use the bike is going to be put to and then make a shortlist. You're probably going to need to a try a few to make an optimum shortlist, but that may be difficult.

As mentioned above, an LBS may be helpful when things so wrong, but waits for critical parts from all brands cn be a bit lengthy at the moment so if there is a breakdown having bought it from an LBS may not be as advantageous as ot would be for a conventional bicycle.

And remember, they're not "electric bikes". That term gives completely the wrong impression about what they do and the riding experience they provide.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
And the other danger you face @vanmoofy is people simply recommemding their own bike. Unless its a complete P.o.S. no one is ever likely to atate that their bike is anything other than awesome, so it's not to be relied upon as a realistic measure of a models suitability for you purpose.

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
Thanks for all your knowledge.

im in east london.

so far , from the direct companies/stockists ive contacted the shortlists theyve provided me tend to lean to the brands listed below:

GIANT
SPECIALIZED
TREK
CARRERA

ill see if i can test ride them and see how it goes (right now from research and looks, bianchi/specialized/giant are the ones im leaning towards) :O

Drago

Legendary Member
What will ypu be using the bike for? What fearures are essential? What fearures are desirable?

The throttle is not legal on post 2016 bikes, although if youre not otherwise taking the peas (ie, still limited to 15.5MPH and not hooning along at 40 without pedalling) youre not likely to have hassles.

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
Ill be using the buy within the city (i diubt ud very rarely be going through fields and mountains etc) / city bike all over london etc.

im leaning towards the ‘GIANT E+1’ or a cannondale

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
What will ypu be using the bike for? What fearures are essential? What fearures are desirable?

The throttle is not legal on post 2016 bikes, although if youre not otherwise taking the peas (ie, still limited to 15.5MPH and not hooning along at 40 without pedalling) youre not likely to have hassles.

Essential features for me is:

ASSIST/BOOST
DIPPED HANDLE BARS
GRIPPED TYRES/STRONG TYRES (not necessarily wife/heavy duty style tyres)
ABOVE 300Wh
IT HAS BLUETOOTH/dashboard features/functionality to it

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Whats a boost feature? Whatever you do, the legal max is 250W up to 15.5mph, and that isn't much of a boost for anyone, let alone a hefty lump.

Range is entirely down to how you use it. Naturally, a higher battery capacity will take you further, but the biggest difference is wider weight (and you can't realistically change that) and how much, if any, juice youre using at a given moment. A fit rider will spend much of their time riding well in excess of 15.5 mph and won't be using any power for much of their riding, which makes any notional range an irrelevance.

You're a short arriss lightweight compared to me, so shouldn't have any problems.

Decide exactly what use the bike is going to be put to and then make a shortlist. You're probably going to need to a try a few to make an optimum shortlist, but that may be difficult.

As mentioned above, an LBS may be helpful when things so wrong, but waits for critical parts from all brands cn be a bit lengthy at the moment so if there is a breakdown having bought it from an LBS may not be as advantageous as ot would be for a conventional bicycle.

And remember, they're not "electric bikes". That term gives completely the wrong impression about what they do and the riding experience they provide.

He might mean a throttle that you can twist and the bike goes at the max without you having to peddle? I didn't think they were allowed anymore. I could be wrong of course. I have one on my bike but it's nearly 5 years old now.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was going to suggest a Moustache roadie, they are wonderful, but more than 3k. There is a jolly good dealership near Reading . Velocity I think they are called.Bike bud has one, and he loves it. He mostly rides on Eco and has been getting over 100 miles to the charge. He rides it as a normal bike with a tail wind or downhill, hence the stunning miles-per-charge. Also, he is exceedingly parsimonious and doesn’t want to pay out for more electricity to charge, said bike, than he needs to.

Top Bottom