I want an Electric Bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure it’s well insured at and away from home and use good locks wherever it’s left. Lots of bike thieves in and around London, e bikes are rich pickings

OAPebike

I'm up North and started researching and looking for an e-bike back in the summer. I needed to physically try one out and that's been difficult because e-bikes have been selling fast all over the UK. Visited several shops in different towns and most didn't have much choice of sizes. I eventually decided on a Raleigh Motus GT because the shop had one that fitted me. It's a sturdy, hybrid style bike with good city riding posture - Bosch motor, 500w battery, 7 hub gears, 4 power modes - Eco, tour, sport, turbo & also walk assist. £2300. Needs to be stored somewhere safe and easy to access. I use the Walk Assist mode to get it up steps via a plank! I was keen on Dutch Gazelle ebikes but hardly any coming over to UK.

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
Ok, I decided to get the Giant E Bike E+2

Im struggling to take the battery out so i can charge it... I have twisted the key clockwise to unlock it, it pops out a bit, im trying to slide it left... nothing. Im trying to pull it out... nothing...

Anyone found this with the Giant Ebike E+'s.....?

It shows it has 20% left which is annoying

CXRAndy

Guru
OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
I am pleasantly surprised with the Giant road E+2 bike.... it accelerated on ECO so quickly..... the smoothness was amazing....! However, im not used to such a thin tyre/light bike, so when i was riding, the bike was swerving left/right/left/right

Also, on 100% charge, on eco, it said the range was around 58miles...? I was confused as I thought it would have been much higher than that?

any tips on riding thin tyre/lightweight road bikes...?

Thanks,

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Range on an ebike is like the range stats on an electric car. Don't take any notice of expected range. It's a bit like tossing a coin in the air.

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
ok so i did my first big ride today on the giant road e+2. Utterly smooth bike.

However, i can feel the difference between ECO and POWERFUL mode - however, saying this, I still dont feel power mode is that powerful to say the truth.

(how wold i go about de-restricting this or increasing this?

Secondly the gearing/gear changing - am i right in thinking the right is gearing up and left is gearing down? (when i was riding earlier, i was tapping the right and it did feel it was tightening up at each tap)

(I am a complete beginner and ive seen youtube videos on gearing on a road e bike, and it is utterly confusing for me)

Drago

Legendary Member
250W is, no matter how you dress it up, no matter how the sales blurb bigs it up, no matter how poetic the description in the glossy magazine, no matter whether its front, mid or rear drive, still just...

250W.

De restricting it makes it legally a moped, requiring you to buy insurance, tax, get it registered, apply for a licence, do your CBT and wear a motorcycle helmet. Chances of getting caught are slim, but the 5-0 are getting more clued up on the matter so its not worth the risk (a good chum of mine is head of roads policing for our county so I get the inside line on where they are at).

Apart from that, such tomoolery risks getting all us legal ebikers shafted with some kind of licencing, so please do not do it.

gzoom

Über Member
@vanmoofy If you are in the UK I really wouldn't recommend chasing more power especially in current conditions, and been new to road cycling.

250watts support its actually a massive amount of power for a pedal bike, its not far off what pro athletes can sustain over a long ride!

For me 250watts extra power translates to 30% quicker speeds up a decent hill!

50862683841_1b803da12c_c_d.jpg

For gears the right shifter will control the back gears and left shifter front.

On the back, the bigger the ring the chain is on the easier it is to pedal, and on the front its the opposite, having the chain on the big ring makes it harder.

The key to gears is finding a balance right for you, you want to be able to pedal at medium effort. When encountering hill you need to change gears to allow you to keep pedaling but at a slower speed.

Best way to learn is to get out on the bike. But do becareful at present on UK roads. There is ALOT of black ice around the back roads, I was wheel spinning all the way up a hill yesterday sliding around even on a hybrid with wide 35mm tyres.

It is beautiful out on the roads at present though, hardly any cars, add in the winter sun its a lovely way to spend a few hours.

50862767197_422318ba7d_c_d.jpg

Top Bottom