I want an Electric Bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What bike is it?

The previous generation Bosch motor, which ran from 2014-2019, has a significant amount of resistance when switched off.

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
I've just spun my front and rear tyres round... they both seem to be spinning pretty well if i do say so myself... (quite possibly when cycling, im in the wrong gear(s) which I'm still getting accustomed to)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
giant e+2 e-bike road

That has Giant's SyncDrive, which is a rebadged Yamaha crank drive.

I've ridden a Yamaha bike, but not far enough to tell you how much pedal resistance it has when switched off.

You say the rear wheel spins freely, which suggests the motor isn't dragging very much.

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
so i tried again to cycle without the motor. It definitely felt like I wasnt getting anywhere, which felt very strange. I think im going to have to go to some sort of bike training on how to utilise these gears, because as it is right now, im using a lot og energy pedalling and im not even going a long way.

Stul

Veteran
I have an e-bike with a Bosch crank motor and with the "engine off", it does not feel like there is any resistance from the motor "other than it being a heavier bike".
On the flat I can normally "out pedal" the motor, (ie it shuts off above 15 mph 'ish)....

..mind you that was last year and I have only just started cycling again this year so will need to get some "bike" fitness back...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
so i tried again to cycle without the motor. It definitely felt like I wasnt getting anywhere, which felt very strange. I think im going to have to go to some sort of bike training on how to utilise these gears, because as it is right now, im using a lot og energy pedalling and im not even going a long way.
Are your legs spinning round but you are moving too slowly? If so, you are in much too low a gear ratio.

Alternatively, are your legs are meeting very tough resistance so you are barely able to turn the pedals? If so, you are in much too high a gear ratio.

jann71

Veteran
I also have a Bosch motor and when my battery ran out I was in granny gear and it felt like pedalling through treacle if there is any incline in granny gear.
It rolls ok on flat with no motor but still very hard work.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also have a Bosch motor and when my battery ran out I was in granny gear and it felt like pedalling through treacle if there is any incline in granny gear.
It rolls ok on flat with no motor but still very hard work.
Are you used to riding standard bikes? If so, you mean much harder than riding one of those at the same speed?

I think that there must be lots of people now riding ebikes who did NOT really ride conventional bikes before that. They probably DO think that it is hard work, because they are used to the motor helping them a lot of the time.

CXRAndy

Guru
My wifes bike has a small amount of resistance when switched off, which isnt there when the motor is switched on but with zero assist. It must be some sort of induced emf. Its not crippling but noticeable.

To get a good cadence really helps with endurance and ability to keep going. If your cadence drops too low because of selecting too high a gear. You will bog down and tire your legs quickly. Get a cadence sensor, try and maintain 80rpm, ideally 90rpm. This will help

Last edited:

Stul

Veteran
..I am surprised that all the latest "tech" / computers don't give you a basic cadence / "rev" counter as a standard on screen option??

OP
OP
V

vanmoofy

Regular
Are your legs spinning round but you are moving too slowly? If so, you are in much too low a gear ratio.

Alternatively, are your legs are meeting very tough resistance so you are barely able to turn the pedals? If so, you are in much too high a gear ratio.

This is exactly it...... in a nutshell; perfectly explained. :wacko:

Top Bottom