I want to buy a car: which gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I was in the market for a car so I popped off to the local dealer. I saw a car there, nice colour, it weighs about 1600kg.

The sales guy told me about the different gear options: younger Sora, tiagra, and so on up to Dura Ace. He said each gear set weights 1kg less than each lesser model and since there are 5 models, I could lose up to 5kg with the very top model.

I was mildly intrigued and wondered about the real impact of a mere few kg reduction in weight for a car that weighs 1600kg but you know, I'll take it for a test drive.

On said test drive, the sales guy said the higher end model has a slicker gearshift and I suppose I could feel a difference but I'm not entirely sure. I think it had a tiny bit of a sportier feel and maybe, just maybe, I could feel a little more performance when the car had to go up hill (it's got an old heavy and not very powerful engine).

In the end I didn't buy any car because I was so confused. He told me to stay away from entry-level cars because I would probably need to upgrade within the year.

On the table at the showroom, I saw a newspaper which advised reduced taxes and running costs for smaller entry level cars and I pointed that out to him.

At that point he told me to get lost. Sheesh.

Levo-Lon

Guru
5kg is a lot..

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
DAF belt drive :smile:

1200px-DAF_31_%281965%29_frontright.jpg

Speicher

Vice Admiral
If you are in the Market for a new car, make sure it doesn't stall.

Last edited:
Top Bottom