I want to buy a car: which gears?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Remember everyone as real drivers you are not allowed to spend too much , or too little , on a car else you'll be admonished by your peers who can't or won't spend as much .
Shopping is so complicated if you're middle class !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Get a black one, it's faster.
Are you mad?!? You'll die because no-one will be able to see you!!!1!

OP I hope they included a road-legal motoring helmet and fire-proof overalls for you. One of my friends races and started using them and crashed because he couldn't hear the car behind him coming up and now won't drive without getting changed and that's very sensible. If you're intending to drive naked then please think about your loved ones who will to have to spoonfeed you after you crash. And I hope you've updated your life insurance because several times more motorists get killed on the roads than people walking, cycling or using the bus.

On said test drive, the sales guy said the higher end model has a slicker gearshift and I suppose I could feel a difference but I'm not entirely sure. I think it had a tiny bit of a sportier feel and maybe, just maybe, I could feel a little more performance when the car had to go up hill (it's got an old heavy and not very powerful engine).

In the end I didn't buy any car because I was so confused. He told me to stay away from entry-level cars because I would probably need to upgrade within the year.
I know you jest, but the nobbers do do this with cars as well, but with less core elements like the engine control computer profiles and the cabin trim/accessories. The names make almost as little sense - I think Alfa Romeo has names like Junior, Lusso, Veloce, QV and so on. Most bikes are simpler and don't have much trim to futz with as easily (like a Brooks saddle isn't universally seen as better than a Selle Royal, for example), which is why I think the illusion of choice is often provided with core drivetrain and structural elements instead.

ETA: at least there are a few bike makers who don't seem to engage in this bad habit. Try finding a car maker now who has the guts to say "this is the intended/designed setup for this car - everything else is optional upgrades/modifications".

Last edited:
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Remember everyone as real drivers you are not allowed to spend too much , or too little , on a car else you'll be admonished by your peers who can't or won't spend as much .
Shopping is so complicated if you're middle class !
Wait until you turn up to a family function in a flash car and everyone gathers around saying how
A) they would have bought something else
B) they have a "friend" who has a car just like it
C) they were going to buy the same car but decided against it because it's so rubbish and they spent just a fraction for a car that "does so much more"
D) they will get their eco box and boost it up with an after market kit and how anyone must be stupid tondo anything else.

Tin Pot

Guru
Are you mad?!? You'll die because no-one will be able to see you!!!1!

OP I hope they included a road-legal motoring helmet and fire-proof overalls for you. One of my friends races and started using them and crashed because he couldn't hear the car behind him coming up and now won't drive without getting changed and that's very sensible. If you're intending to drive naked then please think about your loved ones who will to have to spoonfeed you after you crash. And I hope you've updated your life insurance because several times more motorists get killed on the roads than people walking, cycling or using the bus.

I know you jest, but the nobbers do do this with cars as well, but with less core elements like the engine control computer profiles and the cabin trim/accessories. The names make almost as little sense - I think Alfa Romeo has names like Junior, Lusso, Veloce, QV and so on. Most bikes are simpler and don't have much trim to futz with as easily (like a Brooks saddle isn't universally seen as better than a Selle Royal, for example), which is why I think the illusion of choice is often provided with core drivetrain and structural elements instead.

ETA: at least there are a few bike makers who don't seem to engage in this bad habit. Try finding a car maker now who has the guts to say "this is the intended/designed setup for this car - everything else is optional upgrades/modifications".

Hah. Funny thing - it’s illegal to wear a helmet when driving. Can’t believe I haven’t mentioned that here before :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Hah. Funny thing - it’s illegal to wear a helmet when driving. Can’t believe I haven’t mentioned that here before :smile:
Depends on the helmet. A motor-racing one probably wouldn't be because it restricts movement and vision, but surely this specifically-marketed-for-regular-cars one is legal?
helmet_motoring.jpg

Dan B

Disengaged member
Wait until you turn up to a family function in a flash car and everyone gathers around saying how
A) they would have bought something else
B) they have a "friend" who has a car just like it
C) they were going to buy the same car but decided against it because it's so rubbish and they spent just a fraction for a car that "does so much more"
D) they will get their eco box and boost it up with an after market kit and how anyone must be stupid tondo anything else.
What bothers me is when they pick it up without asking to see how light it is

New-fangled nonsense. You want a motor with a bit of style and character.
View attachment 393265

Edit: And it's probably lighter than a modern eco-box :smile:
Because most of the metal bits have dissolved?
One of worst cars I ever owned. Never felt like the front and rear were part of the same car it cornered that badly. And the petrol tank fell off when I put a bag of sand in the boot.

Top Bottom