I want to fit a smaller cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveyA

Über Member
My bike came as an 11 speed with the largest sprocket being a 28. I don’t want all those gears and never get anywhere near using the 28. I would be quite happy if I could put on an 8 or 9 speed 11/12-21. Is there any way to do it. Would one fit my free hub with some spacers, would the shifters still work? It’s Shimano by the way.
Thanks for any advice.

Keep the 11
There's a 12-25 available
You'll get a lower first, & closer lower ratios
Once you get higher (less teeth), the ratios are probably the same on a 11-28, or a 12-28, as a 12-25

vickster

Legendary Member
That might do. I’ve just taken against all those gears, best part of them are never used. I sometimes only use two gears all day when out on a ride. Is there definitely no way to slim down the cassette?
Why did you buy an 11 speed bike? Could've saved a bundle getting a single speed.
Go find some more challenging terrain to use more gears?

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
I’ve already got a single speed bike that I use in the winter. The terrain here is plenty challenging enough, it’s a carbon bike and I weigh little more than the bike ^_^

Just use the first 9 sprockets on the cassette, or the middle 9, or the last 9.

It'll be like having three bikes.

OP
OP
DaveyA

DaveyA

Über Member
Well yes that’s an idea. Thing is I hardly have room for the bikes I already own without three more to put somewhere:laugh:

Top Bottom