I want to go faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
This is bang on the money. To up your average speed you dont need to worry about your top speed. Concentrate on the sections where you just plod along.
You spend much more time at middling speeds. Very little at what would be your maximum.

True, but i am definitely hitting above middling on the flats - i get that 'bobbing' rhythm as i start to try to accelerate without enough cog to turn! The 16t will be going on this weekend :biggrin:

Sharky

Guru
True, but i am definitely hitting above middling on the flats - i get that 'bobbing' rhythm as i start to try to accelerate without enough cog to turn! The 16t will be going on this weekend :biggrin:
Sprockets are cheap enough to try all combinations. Just a one tooth decrease (to 17t) may be enough.
Might be a good idea to find the steepest hill in your area and work out the biggest gear you can manage. A fixed is always going to be a compromise between heaving and twiddling, but the up hills always take longer than the descents, so bias to the upwards gradients might be prudent.
Good luck

12boy

Guru
I used to ride 48/16 but headwinds and hills make 48/18 a better choice now. Throw in the extra drag from 35 mm studded tires and 48/18 is starchy enough for me. 46/16 is very close to 48/18 in terms of gear inches. I, however, am not a spinner and like to pedal slowly, grinding along. If I could maintain 100+ rpm comfortably, 48/18 might be a little high.

CXRAndy

Guru
Some speeds with 25mm tyres various gear combinations

100 rpm.... 48*16 23.61 mph, 48*18 21.02 mph

90 rpm..... 48*16 21.25 mph, 48*18 18.91 mph

I use 42*16 with 35 mm tyres

90 rpm 19.18mph

Old money 71.65 gear inches^_^

Plenty quick enough for a shopper

Sharky

Guru
Going into the winter, I've hung up my summer geared bike on the garage wall and dusted off my Giant Bowery. First few rides, I did on fixed (44x18), but found the many descents too tiring, particularly on my arms/shoulders (legacy of broken collar bones). Switched to a SS freewheel with the same gearing (44x18 approx. 64") and find it really exhilarating. Just hard enough on the ups to give me a real workout and above 20mph on the downs, just freewheeling to give myself a well earned rest/recovery. Cadence on the flats becomes higher and the rhythm you get is a great feeling.

12boy

Guru
Being in the winter, I find myself to be much slower and tire more quickly. An hour and a half ride can kick my butt. I think this because ice and snow is slower, my clothes are bulkier and heavier, especially shoes, heavy tread tires with studs take more effort than flexible light slicks and cold has more drag than warm air since it's heavier. On the other hand, being indoors all the time makes me even crankier and a ride in the crisp, cold air feels so good even if its shorter and more work. Good to have lower gearing for those rides.

silva

Über Member
It depends alot on the routes you ride and the weights you take.
Singlespeed is what it is: a trade off. Speed is only for competition the sole goal, sport itself is work hard to become hard and make the rest of the life easier. Speed increase can be a result, handling more head wind / bad roads or more luggage without ending up stalling.
About winter versus summer, I noticed for myself that if I wear too much clothes that I can handle alot less, not due to the weight of the clothes but due to the temperature that makes me feel tired. If I take off one it suddenly feels back like I just left.

Aside, I found the quite commonly used (because the 3 gear fits alot peoples route situation) gear 48/16 as a serious drivetrain life limiter due to same teeth engaging same chain links every rotation aggravating local wear and premature replacement need.

Last edited:
Top Bottom