I want to go faster.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I have a Pinnacle Dolomite Singlespeed (2017 version) geared at 46x18. It's fine but i spin out on the flats. I want to go faster.

What would i need to alter gearing-wise to get more speed?

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Make the driver bigger and/or the driven smaller

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Oooh, might take you up on that offer. Going to 16t with the 46 (according to calcs) seems to make a difference.

No problem - let me know

I have quite a collection of them - from experimenting with ratios with the Virtue.

At the momem I only run 36/14 commute and 30/22 off road

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ultimately the power available from the engine determines how fast any vehicle can be made to go. Increasing the gearing won't automatically make a bike faster - it may even have the opposite effect if the ratio is a bad choice.
Multi-geared bikes were developed precisely because single speed gearing is always a compromise

Sharky

Guru
By "faster", do you mean a higher avg mph or a quicker time for a set course? Need to consider the slow sections rather than the fast ones. Get quicker on the hills and you'll improve your avg mph.

colly

Re member eR
By "faster", do you mean a higher avg mph or a quicker time for a set course? Need to consider the slow sections rather than the fast ones. Get quicker on the hills and you'll improve your avg mph.
This is bang on the money. To up your average speed you dont need to worry about your top speed. Concentrate on the sections where you just plod along.
You spend much more time at middling speeds. Very little at what would be your maximum.

Top Bottom