I Want to know about this vintage bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yani3232

Hi, I have a vintage bike banana seat bike. I've had it for a about 9 years and its in good condition considering. was wondering about more info on this bike. make? model? and how much it might be worth now. having trouble finding anything about it online. Thankyou!

goldcoastjon

Your bike is in nice shape!

Rampar was/is a division of Raleigh that imported bikes like yours from the Mystic East. Try searching for "Raleigh Rampar" and check to see if your bike has a serial number. (They are usually on the bottom bracket, top of the seat tube, or on a rear dropout.)

OP
OP
yani3232

yani3232

Your bike is in nice shape!

Rampar was/is a division of Raleigh that imported bikes like yours from the Mystic East. Try searching for "Raleigh Rampar" and check to see if your bike has a serial number. (They are usually on the bottom bracket, top of the seat tube, or on a rear dropout.)
Thanks so much ! I tried looking it up in different variation of names but no luck. Just found information on it but no pricing for the value now. by any chance do you recommend any modifications I can make to it (if I decide not to sell) in order to have a smoother and less bumpy ride ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It’s a spin off from the Raleigh Chopper in the U.K. This became a very popular bike and the Rampar was an attempt to duplicate the success on the other side of the pond. Choppers are very collectable now but I don’t know if that’s the case where you are.
1631861965158.jpeg

T4tomo

Guru
by any chance do you recommend any modifications I can make to it (if I decide not to sell) in order to have a smoother and less bumpy ride ?

Its a poor man's Chopper. The harsh ride and nightmare handling was part of the charm of the original, so i don't see why any copycat version should be any different...

Seriously I wouldn't modify it at all, as originality is key to value. Good condition original Choppers go for silly money in the UK. Yours will be worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, but I suspect the paucity of information you found when googling suggests it has rather less of a cult following.

Hung up in a Diner is probably the best place for it

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Doesn't look like there a great clamour for these bikes in the US so I shouldn't go booking that world tour just yet :smile:. Maybe @Gravity Aided who is over there can comment.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
No, the Schwinn Stingray dominated the collector's market over here, better handling and safer build than The Chopper, but the Rampar version appears to copy the Stingray. Choppers were influenced by the Stingray, and a lot of lesser bicycles also emulated the Stingray, as all sorts of manufacturers made similar bicycles. This is a nice example of a higher level clone of the Stingray. This particular bicycle seems well cared for and original, except for the seat.

Top Bottom