I want to travel the world but have a low budget to buy a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
well in that case you could just start with a BSO and replace it once you cross the English Channel! If the OP has £500 budget this implies limited funds to fix the bike en-route; so my point was not 'bollocks' - which was rather unnecessary use of language really.

Someone on one of the forums has cycled all over Europe with a £99 BSO without problems. And fixing it only costs a lot when you are in Europe or the USA (although I've had lots of running repairs done for free when touring) In the rest of the world bike fixing is pretty cheap because its an everyday form of transport and people don't earn a lot. As long as it has basic level Shimano gears, proper rather than plastic hub and BB bearings and metal rather than plastic brake levers and calipers it should last fine especially if you tighten up the wheel tension a bit which is usually a weak point of cheap bikes. And part of the adventure of touring is the challenges it throws up.

A useful article for those that think money is an object to long distance touring.
http://www.dirtragmag.com/printrag/do-it-yourself-bike-touring

amaferanga

Veteran
Someone on one of the forums has cycled all over Europe with a £99 BSO without problems. And fixing it only costs a lot when you are in Europe or the USA (although I've had lots of running repairs done for free when touring) In the rest of the world bike fixing is pretty cheap because its an everyday form of transport and people don't earn a lot. As long as it has basic level Shimano gears, proper rather than plastic hub and BB bearings and metal rather than plastic brake levers and calipers it should last fine especially if you tighten up the wheel tension a bit which is usually a weak point of cheap bikes. And part of the adventure of touring is the challenges it throws up.

Where have you toured? Having spent over a year cycling around Africa on some terrible roads I can assure you that a cheapo BSO would not have survived and that I wouldn't have taken half the roads I did take if I was worried about my bike falling apart. Now, the bike I used wasn't hugely expensive (it was an On One Inbred), but I didn't skimp on wheels and racks after my first couple of trips to Africa where I had lesser equipment that failed rather quickly. And you're dreaming if you think you can get Shimano spares or a decent repair in remote parts of e.g. Ethiopia. Getting any decent spares anywhere in countries like Ethiopia is simply not possible. Oh and tightening up wheel tension a bit doesn't turn a crap wheel into a good wheel.

I agree that part of the allure of touring is the overcoming of the unexpected, but there's little point in taking such a crap bike that you end up having to hitch a lift to the nearest city every few days to try to get your crappy bike repaired.

OP
OP
Eddie96

Eddie96

Depending on what you call 'not much more than' Evans have the 2012 Specialized Tricross reduced ATM. should do a reasonable job- or at least a good stab at it!
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/tricross-2012-road-bike-ec030752

Thanks a lot for this! This seems to be the bike I've been looking for ^_^

OP
OP
Eddie96

Eddie96

to be honest guys, i don't really have a budget yet and i won't be going on the trip for another few years as im only 15. i was just wondering how cheap i could get a good bike for. but i could probably save quite a bit of money if i need to. thanks for the advice :smile:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Cheapest way to do it is to find a 1990s vintage steel framed mountain bike without suspension. You should be able to build a decent bike around that within a £500 budget.

Cheapest way to do it is to find a 1990s vintage steel framed mountain bike without suspension. You should be able to build a decent bike around that within a £500 budget.

Or go to the CTC York Rally and join the Cycle Auction. If you know what you are looking at there are some real bargains to be had that will do you perfectly.

Where have you toured? Having spent over a year cycling around Africa on some terrible roads I can assure you that a cheapo BSO would not have survived and that I wouldn't have taken half the roads I did take if I was worried about my bike falling apart. Now, the bike I used wasn't hugely expensive (it was an On One Inbred), but I didn't skimp on wheels and racks after my first couple of trips to Africa where I had lesser equipment that failed rather quickly. And you're dreaming if you think you can get Shimano spares or a decent repair in remote parts of e.g. Ethiopia. Getting any decent spares anywhere in countries like Ethiopia is simply not possible. Oh and tightening up wheel tension a bit doesn't turn a crap wheel into a good wheel.

I agree that part of the allure of touring is the overcoming of the unexpected, but there's little point in taking such a crap bike that you end up having to hitch a lift to the nearest city every few days to try to get your crappy bike repaired.

Africa tends not to be on a round the world tour. You tend to go down through the Middle East and the 'stans or across Russia into Mongolia/China. But lets just agree we have a different opinion on what is possible and acceptable. I guess you've never read Three Men on a Bike

Top Bottom