I want to travel the world but have a low budget to buy a bike

Eddie96

Hello,
I've browsed around looking at ridiculously dashing yet expensive touring bikes. Some people have been saying that a cheap bike won't do the job I need and others have said that the bike isn't as important as you think.

All I want is a tough bike that can overcome challenging roads with a price tag of not much more than 500 pounds.

:smile:
PS I don't care what it looks like :smile:

Good luck with that.

tadpole

tough, reliable, cheap. You get to pick any two from three.
Go for a steel frame, as in most off the beaten track places, you'll find some garage with a welder that can do a good job on steel, but might struggle to find someone who can do a good job on alloy.

amaferanga

Veteran
This may be a stupid question, but if you can only spend £500 on a bike then how much do you have to spend on the rest of the gear you'll need? I know from experience that buying cheap cycling and camping stuff for touring in remote areas is a mistake. And how much for the trip itself?

Having said that, if you look for an old 90's mountainbike then you'll have the ideal basis for a RTW bike.

Just go for a good sturdy and simple bike. It may not be the lightest but it's the sort of bike most countries you go to will be used to repairing.

e-rider

crappy member
you will not get a bike that will travel the world for £500

if you can't spare any more cash how the hell are you going to fund such a trip?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Depending on what you call 'not much more than' Evans have the 2012 Specialized Tricross reduced ATM. should do a reasonable job- or at least a good stab at it!
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/tricross-2012-road-bike-ec030752

yes, and how much of the original bike made it to the finish - probably not much!
I think that's true irrespective of the bike you started with. Not many a round the world travel book I've read which hasn't had chapters about dealing with the various mechanicals and frame breakages. I think the pinnacle though was Nick Crane replacing the pawls in this freewheel in a Greek village with ones from a jar he'd found in a local junk shop.

e-rider

crappy member
I think that's true irrespective of the bike you started with. Not many a round the world travel book I've read which hasn't had chapters about dealing with the various mechanicals and frame breakages. I think the pinnacle though was Nick Crane replacing the pawls in this freewheel in a Greek village with ones from a jar he'd found in a local junk shop.
well in that case you could just start with a BSO and replace it once you cross the English Channel! If the OP has £500 budget this implies limited funds to fix the bike en-route; so my point was not 'bollocks' - which was rather unnecessary use of language really.

Top Bottom