I was told bikes pollute more then gas bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rocky

Hello decadence
No

figbat

Slippery scientist
Pollute how?

In terms of direct, in-use pollution then no - a motorbike emits a cocktail of pollutants including CO2, NOx, HC, CO etc. They also emit a large quantity of H2O which you might not think of as a pollutant but is a relatively high level greenhouse gas. They also emit particulates.
An e-bike emits a little bit of ozone (not good at ground level) and the rider emits CO2, H2O and methane, but in far lower quantities.
Both will give off some particulates from brake and tyre wear, but the motorbike will do much more of this.
The motorbike also generates a regular stream of used fluids (engine oil, occasional fork oil, chain oil fling, brake fluid and coolant).

In terms of direct energy use, no again - a motorbike uses a lot more energy to move itself about, partly down to moving faster, but also down to being heavier. An e-bike uses energy that is generated elsewhere, so the associated pollution is also emitted elsewhere.

In terms of fully wrapped-up, cradle-to-grave emissions - the jury is still out and dependent on a lot of factors such as how long they are used for, where, how, where the raw materials for production came from, how recyclable they are etc.

This calculation only works in the slightest if the rider of the gasoline powered vehicle has ceased respiring but has not yet started decomposing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
whoever said that ebikes pollute more than a petrol engine bike are probably looking at lithium mining as the major source of pollutants, maybe?

CXRAndy

Guru
whoever said that ebikes pollute more than a petrol engine bike are probably looking at lithium mining as the major source of pollutants, maybe?

And completely ignoring the environmental impact, of drilling for oil, transportation of crude, refining the crude into various fuels. Then storing and transportation of fuels to all areas of tbe the world. Yeah, fossil fuels are completely clean:laugh:

Oh and burning fuels producing pollutants:biggrin:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Petrol motorcycles, at least those of medium size or larger have terrible fuel consumption for what they are. Mine does maybe 50mpg - about the same as a ton and a half diesel car.

CXRAndy

Guru
Petrol motorcycles, at least those of medium size or larger have terrible fuel consumption for what they are. Mine does maybe 50mpg - about the same as a ton and a half diesel car.

Mine does 50mpg and when able 160mph, those were the days of French autoroute and German autobahn

Top Bottom