"I wasn't expecting that"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If its as popular as Ricky's song he'll do well out of it.
People like sad stories

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=suy-bbKzTjk

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I am attracted to songs with a story to tell.
Marillion seem to be very good at it, this song is all about a girl who is sexually abused by her father, but her mother doesnt believe her and sends her away to boarding school, choosing to stay with her rich husband instead.
It is actually a very good song, despite the subject matter.

View: http://youtu.be/J_iKmNGu7lo

Levo-Lon

Guru
I am attracted to songs with a story to tell.
Marillion seem to be very good at it, this song is all about a girl who is sexually abused by her father, but her mother doesnt believe her and sends her away to boarding school, choosing to stay with her rich husband instead.
It is actually a very good song, despite the subject matter.

View: http://youtu.be/J_iKmNGu7lo

misplaced childhood..awsome..
went to see Fish in Stamford last year..excelent gig

andyfraser

Über Member
It's always music over lyrics for me. If I don't like the music I won't listen to the song. Some of the stuff I listen to you can't make out or understand the words anyway (opera, death/black metal) or are instrumental (jazz, classical). I don't even know the titles of some of the songs I listen to regularly!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Same for me, It is the music first, if the music grabs me then I will listen to the lyrics.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A song with WTF lyrics.

It's a song written by Carole King and her husband that documents the domestic abuse suffered by their baby sitter. It was intepreted as a song that extolled domestic violence and didn't do very well in the charts. No surprise there!

Fubar

Guru
[QUOTE 3931603, member: 45"]I'm always interested in how people fall for a certain aspect of the song. Words over tune, or tune over words.

There's a song growing in popularity at the moment, by a young chap called Jamie Lawson.

It's popular because the guitar is uplifting but laid back, perfect for mid-late evening.

However, the story goes:

Boy meets girl.

Boy kisses girl.

Girl says she loves boy.

Three children arrive, reach adulthood, leave home.

Girl dies of cancer.

No, I wasn't expecting that.[/QUOTE]

I heard that this morning and thought it was a good tune but he was kicking the erse out of "I wasn't expecting that" - then Chris Evans talked all over the bit where she karks it...

Dave7

Legendary Member
I heard that this morning and thought it was a good tune but he was kicking the erse out of "I wasn't expecting that" - then Chris Evans talked all over the bit where she karks it...
Chris Evans talks over everything.......he just doesn't know how to keep his gob shut.

RedRider

Pulling through
I agree in the most when I listen to music but when it comes to songs from or about Ireland the words are just if not more important...
I know what you mean. I grew up listening to Irish songs at parties and loved the imagery and stories even if I didn't always appreciate the deeper meanings. Even then I guess I was mostly entranced by my cousin's beautiful voice or my grandad's arthritic banjo skills.

Top Bottom