I will be appearing on BBC Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
It takes a lot of effort to disguise yourself that well :whistle:

It would be worth all that effort if it was funny rather just tedious :wacko:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I found this on one of the videos

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qKAkn2MI0M

Please do not be fooled by this story of an innocent cyclist and his trials and tribulations of negotiating the roads. I have come across his cycling skills on the roads of our local area, weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating cars, goading motorists into a reaction so as to capture it on the camera he so proudly wears upon his helmet. Yes, threatening other road users is an abhorrent thing to do, and the roads are there for both cyclists and motorists to use. BBC see both sides please

A friend of yours mat
I checked Facebook for the name. There is only one Joanne Mclellan in [MOD: not appropriate to give details of someone else's location on an internet forum]. I do not know her and I have suggested that she gets her facts straight before she goes and talks about someone in a personal tense.

Last edited by a moderator:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I checked Facebook for the name. There is only one Joanne Mclellan in [removed by mod]. I do not know her and I have suggested that she gets her facts straight before she goes and talks about someone in a personal tense.
You may have the right person, but I have to say I'd want to do a bit more checking (to make sure I had my facts straight, sort of thing) before berating 'a little girl', particularly when you're after someone who uses words like 'abhorrent', 'tailgating' and 'goading'...not, I would have thought, the typical vocabulary of the average nipper.

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
@Matthew_T
I can understand you've had your 15 minutes of fame & you'd like to keep that fame going. However in the long run you'd do better at letting it go & working towards the next time.
Next time they may not be as easy on you, or they may seek the view of the other person. You have one victory, next time you might be the one portrayed in a bad light. Have you thought about that?

Genau

I checked Facebook for the name. There is only one redacted (a little girl). I do not know her and I have suggested that she gets her facts straight before she goes and talks about someone in a personal tense.

Oh dear. You are stalking and bullying little girls based on a Facebook entry with the same name? You do know Facebook is not actually a definitive and complete register of UK residents? Then you go and compound your mistake by listing a little girl's name and school on here.

A grown man harassing a little girl - your new friends at the BBC could make that look very, very bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Next time they may not be as easy on you, or they may seek the view of the other person. You have one victory, next time you might be the one portrayed in a bad light. Have you thought about that?
Yes, I have. Thats why I would never allow myself to appear that way. I have strong opinions on right and wrong and I understand that not everyone likes that (I had a bit of a battering from my Religious Studies teacher in high school because it was my opinion that God didnt exist. I now know that it might have been the wrong thing to point that out every day).
I would never upload a video where people would take someone elses side anyway. Unless it was for an educational purpose.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Oh dear. You are stalking and bullying little girls based on a Facebook entry with the same name? You do know Facebook is not actually a definitive and complete register of UK residents? Then you go and compound your mistake by listing a little girl's name and school on here.

A grown man harassing a little girl - your new friends at the BBC could make that look very, very bad.
We must have different ideas in what stalking and bullying actual are. For an initial contact the girl will either know exactly what Matthew is on about or think hes some weirdo of the internet talking about something completely random. None of which comes close to the likes of stalking and bullying. Facebook is indeed not a complete register but it comes dam close :biggrin:. The girl already give her name away by stupidly making a YouTube account using it or she has become victim of the Gmail hoard of "do you want to link it up to your YouTube account". If she has already listed the school in her fb then I don't see an issue myself. Had he did a bit more digging then looking at information released by the person in question which is very visibly to see I would agree it would be wrong to release such info.

Last edited:
I have strong opinions on right and wrong

Unfortunately, your opinions on 'right' and 'wrong' are in many cases not consistent with the highway code, common sense or best practice. I just feel sorry for all of the proper cyclists in your area, who have probably all become targets now to a greater or lesser extent, all because you have set yourself up as some kind of 'masked avenger'. You should think seriously about selling your helmet cam and deleting your YT account.

stowie

Legendary Member
Yes, I have. Thats why I would never allow myself to appear that way. I have strong opinions on right and wrong and I understand that not everyone likes that (I had a bit of a battering from my Religious Studies teacher in high school because it was my opinion that God didnt exist. I now know that it might have been the wrong thing to point that out every day).
I would never upload a video where people would take someone elses side anyway. Unless it was for an educational purpose.

Matthew, I think that the programme was very reasonable and balanced. Please be aware that not all people in the media will do this. The TV will be much more balanced than newspapers but you just need to look at some of the TV features about cyclists to realise that they may well have an agenda which is at odds with how you wish to be portrayed. Please bear in mind that you will lose control of your image when you go on these programmes - what you think is perfectly reasonable may be edited or juxtaposed in such a way to make you look like a fanatic. No matter how cut and dried you think a video is, there is always the possibility of it ending up with you as the bad guy. Just look at the taxi / gaz video in that BBC cyclist programme. The taxi driver cut up Gaz, then pulled over making him stop, got out and was threatening. Yet many people thought it was Gaz that came out badly because of the way it was cut with other videos and the way the interviews were conducted.

This is a long way of saying that the programme which featured you was pretty good and you came across as a reasonable person who was subjected to road-rage. But don't expect every media story to be as fair-minded. If the media contacted me for an interview of my videos (God alone knows why they would!) then I would be straight to the LCC/CTC to get advice and almost certainly I would decline.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I am going on a media training course with CTC in the middle of November. Hopefully that will improve my understanding of what to/not to say and how to act when being interviewed.

Shaun

Founder
Mod advisory: If anyone wishes to offer Matthew advice please be respectful and constructive in doing so.

Mod advisory: If anyone wishes to offer Matthew advice please be respectful and constructive in doing so.

There was nothing wrong with my advice and there was no need to delete my post - it was perfectly reasonable and constructive. I was simply suggesting that he focuses his efforts on becoming a better cyclist, rather than a better interviewee. I can't see how advice like that would be unhelpful.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Probably not unhelpful (and it was not me who deleted it) - but definitely repetitive. It has been said many times before, and repeating it begins to seem like bullying. I suspect that is why it was deleted.

Probably not unhelpful (and it was not me who deleted it) - but definitely repetitive. It has been said many times before, and repeating it begins to seem like bullying. I suspect that is why it was deleted.

I haven't been 'repeating' it though - it was actually the first time I'd mentioned it. I was responding to a post on this page (#356) - I don't believe he'd mentioned attending a media training course before that point.

Besides, if several people sharing the same opinion amounts to 'bullying', then there are several hundred threads on this forum alone which are in need of urgent moderator intervention.

Top Bottom