I will never again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
look at a spin class as something for people who can't ride proper bikes.

at the suggestion of a couple of clubmates, I went to one seeing as my workplace has a gym.

I'm still feeling it in my legs. some of the positions were not for me; squatting below the saddle and honking in an aero position were too much of something I'd never otherwise do, so I just sat and spun through those...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Take em on a 100k real ride and see what happens :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Spin classes are far too much like hard work. Personally, I don't like them. Too loud, or at least the ones I have taken have been. I can't understand what the instructor was yelling through the distortion of funky music. I just copied the woman in front and hoped for the best.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I thought it would be more intervals to music rather than doing silly ride positions. You can't spin crouching. When I talk about spinning its upto 150 rpm. Can't do more or its Fire extinguisher time.

Might have to go.

I assume you can use SPD

Jimidh

Veteran
I'm a big fan of spin classes but it is a case of finding the right instructors - some give you a great HIT session with good music thrown in - other do all the weird positions with upper body exercise too.

Shadowfax

Wrong spin class simples !

just jim

Take em on a 100k real ride and see what happens :smile:

It's not like for like. It's an activity for people with mixed abilties and different interests in cycling. I find spinning very helpful, particularly during the winter months. Not all instructors are the same - shop around if need be. Bike's are often equipped with dual sided pedals. They are sturdy, stable bikes - more so than my turbo trainer set-up. I prefer spinning to shed-bound turbo training, but that's just me..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's not like for like. It's an activity for people with mixed abilties and different interests in cycling. I find spinning very helpful, particularly during the winter months. Not all instructors are the same - shop around if need be. Bike's are often equipped with dual sided pedals. They are sturdy, stable bikes - more so than my turbo trainer set-up. I prefer spinning to shed-bound turbo training, but that's just me..
It was said in jest hence the smiley...................

Adam4868

Guru
Dont do gyms.never could.I enjoy cycling its my passion,but the only indoor activity i could manage is swimming or 5 a side ! tried spinning once( that was enough) I got a turbo a year or so ago and been on it twice,if i cant get out on bike i dont bother.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the other day i tried one of the gym bikes that can measure distance/time etc. i did a 10 mile time trial on it in 25:09, which is awkward as i now have a target of getting it down to under 25 minutes :rolleyes:

i may eschew the spin class in favour of doing that again (with two pairs of padded shorts; why do all gym bikes have women's saddles?)…

suzeworld

Veteran
I do spin classes, once or twice a week but I ignore any schizzle about silly positions!

I use the higher resistance and keep an eye on my heart rate and wattage, not the RPMs really ... High revs don't suit me. I sweat very hard throughout the whole hour, never slowing too much in the recovery bits. You can really build strength for mountain climbing if you use a class well, And I get a good buzz off of it, partly helped by teacher's choice of music, I think.

Top Bottom