I...will...stay...ahead....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Pulled up at lights this morning behind a lady on an electric bike - not a pedelec, but one with a throttle that goes without pedalling. Overtook her as the lights changed, she was slow off the mark.

But then she caught me up as I got onto the riverside path. Knowing she's limited to 15mph (she's not pedalling at all), I'm determined to stay ahead.

I did, I bloody did! Although I was just managing 17 and she was right on my tail.

Nearly killed me, but I hope I've perfected gasping for breath without it being too obvious...:smile:
 

Archie

Errrr.....
Missed a trick there Arch - you could have easily wheel-sucked the 'leckie at 15 m.p.h. :smile:
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
Heh..heh...well done....... (are they limited to 15 - must remember.....).....

Electric scooters are easy to out accelerate, but you never know when they are behind you - you can't hear the 'nnnnnr nrrrrrrrr nrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' and then they sneak past....:smile:
 

potsy

Rambler
Location
My Armchair
They will do more but only if you pedal as well,I thought about getting one last year when I 1st got back into cycling but know I'd have relied on it far too much,so glad I got a 'proper' bike.
Well done Arch,bet you weren't able to talk for ages after:biggrin: I got caught up by one of my colleagues this morning half way up my 'killer' hill,he asked me something and my response was 'can't talk til i get to the top':biggrin:
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
potsy said:
I got caught up by one of my colleagues this morning half way up my 'killer' hill,he asked me something and my response was 'can't talk til i get to the top':biggrin:
Tell him..... "If you can talk you ain't trying hard enough........." :smile: (once you get to the top......)

PS is that Stockport/Bredbury or the steeper Stockport Brinnington....
 

potsy

Rambler
Location
My Armchair
fossyant said:
Tell him..... "If you can talk you ain't trying hard enough........." :smile: (once you get to the top......)

PS is that Stockport/Bredbury or the steeper Stockport Brinnington....
Bless you for saying that:biggrin: it's the steeper one,still kills me 1 year since I 1st started riding,he makes it look too easy for my liking,though I did out sprint him near work(mainly because I didn't tell him we were racing:biggrin:)
 

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Location
South Manchester
potsy said:
Bless you for saying that:biggrin: it's the steeper one,still kills me 1 year since I 1st started riding,he makes it look too easy for my liking,though I did out sprint him near work(mainly because I didn't tell him we were racing:biggrin:)
It's meant to kill you...... 1 year ago you would have been slower..... hills are the same...hard...you just ride faster.............

Decided to take the Garmin 705 today (1 cos I am fed up at work, 2 cos the battery on the cateye is saying low, and 3...... cos I felt like seeing what actually goes on with HR on the commute....:angry:)....

Average was 150 ish...... max in the 170's and the hard bit, was the drag up to home......170 plus all the way up.... it don't get easier, but the guys I passed at the bottom must of felt I was cheating.........:smile: I max out at about 192 these days....... (for a 40 year old)......:ohmy:
 

potsy

Rambler
Location
My Armchair
fossyant said:
It's meant to kill you...... 1 year ago you would have been slower..... hills are the same...hard...you just ride faster.............

Decided to take the Garmin 705 today (1 cos I am fed up at work, 2 cos the battery on the cateye is saying low, and 3...... cos I felt like seeing what actually goes on with HR on the commute....xx()....

Average was 150 ish...... max in the 170's and the hard bit, was the drag up to home......170 plus all the way up.... it don't get easier, but the guys I passed at the bottom must of felt I was cheating.........;) I max out at about 192 these days....... (for a 40 year old)......;)
A year ago I was walking up there and having a drink and rest at the bus stop outside the school:blush: Never tried the Bredbury way believe it's longer drag but not as steep,few lads at work prefer Brinny hill so I have stuck to that route.
 
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
potsy said:
They will do more but only if you pedal as well,I thought about getting one last year when I 1st got back into cycling but know I'd have relied on it far too much,so glad I got a 'proper' bike.
Well done Arch,bet you weren't able to talk for ages after;) I got caught up by one of my colleagues this morning half way up my 'killer' hill,he asked me something and my response was 'can't talk til i get to the top':biggrin:
Nah, I can always talk*....;)

I have a lot to learn about electrics - we're launching an Electric Bike magazine in August. It's a fast growing market. And a good thing too, I think - better someone gets an electric bike than becomes another motorised box inhabitant. Although I prefer the idea of those where you have to pedal for the motor to work - the European requirement. That way, you get the benefit of the movement, even if you're putting in little or no effort.

*Actually, I was once half way up the hill out of Berwick to Longridge for a Bikerite event, and a fellow attendee pulled alongside and introduced himself and asked my name. Taking my silence for reticence, he apologised for being too forward, so I had to gasp "I'll... tell... you... at... the...top..."
 

TheDoctor

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
I suspect that's electric powered bikes, not electrically shifted gears.
(Don't get me on the topic of electric gears. I mean, why? Why?)
 
Top Bottom