I witnessed shop lifting in Accrington's Holland & Barrett today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Terrible stuff! Yesterday, I went to see a friend who manages Holland & Barrett in Accrington Lancs. She said if I'd been in 30 minutes earlier I'd have seen 4 scumbags steal £554 of Manuka Honey. She told me that 2 came in the shop and grabbed loads of the jars off the shelf, while 2 kept lookout outside. The other week the shop had over £700 worth of the stuff stolen in one theft. Today, about 4.40pm 2 scrotes came in saying "are we still open for business"? I knew straight away they were dodgy! Before the manager could respond they headed for those big containers of body building powder and ran at the manager trying to block their path. Thankfully she had the sense to step back and let the scumbags go. One of them even said "thanks for this, we'll get plenty for them"! as he left. I was more shocked than her, as she sees brazen theft all the time. The manager worked out the cost of the latest theft to be £94. After than I was wary of anybody that came in the shop. She told me there was no point phoning the police, even though the incident and their faces was/were caught on cctv. She said they wouldn't even bother coming to the shop for details. The 2 security guards for the shops are useless. They even go for their lunch break at the same time as each other, so the shoplifters must know that for an hour there isn't a security guard. The thing is, once of a day shoplifting was done discretely with thieves quickly taking stuff off the shelf and slipping in in their pocket. Now, they just run or walk in and openly take/steal stuff and just walk out, giving plenty of lip as they do so!!!

nc_ohc=4xlEhxFssvcAX803dU5&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=2sJJfVY1RA8AX8EH3_N&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

These are the almost empty shelves, after yesterday's theft. They left the cheapest ones behind, so they must've been in earlier working out the prices and which ones were the best to steal. After yesterday's theft the manager put dummy/empty jars on the shelves. Today she told me that one scrote came in today, stole 3 jars and ran out. Unfortunately for the low life he ended up with 3 empty jars.

nc_ohc=worUq2OoF8EAX9Xs-U0&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That's why in a lot of stores there are 'fake' cartons these days to stop large-scale shoplifting of expensive items.

In Dewsbury it's got as bad as 'fake' coffee jars.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Because they know there's very little chance of being caught, and if they are they'll get to pay any money they're made pay back at a £1 a week.

Got to spend over four hours on a back board, after being sent through the doors. Cracking the back of skull open on the stone slab on the pavement.

On the other side I'd the satisfaction of hearing the judge double the amount payable, because I'd asked for any money awarded to be given to two charities. Marie Curie and MacMillan.
Court number one, Harrison Road Magistrates Court.

No longer surprised at who will take what these days.

classic33

Leg End Member
True, but even if the alarm goes off it's not really safe these days to challenge them, let along go after them!
It won't go off.

You just know when they walk in that these scrotes aren't typical H&B shoppers!

I haven't been in one for ages, I wanted some wheat (for home brew) once and theirs was really expensive.

Actually why are they selling body building stuff, I though they were more hippy new wave type of shop?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This type of raid has become popular in the USA. Instead of the onus being put on shopkeepers the courts should be handing out maximum sentences where possible. Conspiracy to steal carries a maximum sentence of 7 years.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Our experience was fairly minor really in that a gang of shoplifters would start at one end of our street but as soon as identified as a problem word got out to all the other shops with descriptions so they were constantly monitored.
Mostly we just had petty theft and large groups like bus parties were the main problem.
This of course is well away from inner city so a different type of shoplifter.

Top Bottom